Rusty Lenton Sports Reg Harris Model

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Very nice. Looking at yours I can see that I have issues over my handlebars, mudguards and wheel nuts. My handlebars are not stamped Raleigh but are stamped 'Maes' and 'Reynolds tubing'; my mudguards are alloy stamped 'Bantel'. They will all go back on after restoring but will not look Lenton like at all. I'll send you the photos when I take them.
since bikes were often bought as a frame and parts (for tax reasons) I don't think there's really such a thing as "correct" equipment, if your gear is age appropriate then that's just fine!

I feel that some of differences in the equipment can be part of the bikes history. Some parts could have been damaged or worn and would have needed replacing. Some parts could have been an upgrade which the previous owner thought necessary or thought improved the looks of his bike.
The 50's and 60's was a long time ago and attitudes and availability of parts and equipment will have changed over the years. Unless the previous owner managed to maintain his bike in pristine condition any replacement parts would have depended on what was available at the time and so variation would be inevitable.

Drago

Legendary Member
I feel that some of differences in the equipment can be part of the bikes history. Some parts could have been damaged or worn and would have needed replacing. Some parts could have been an upgrade which the previous owner thought necessary or thought improved the looks of his bike.
The 50's and 60's was a long time ago and attitudes and availability of parts and equipment will have changed over the years. Unless the previous owner managed to maintain his bike in pristine condition any replacement parts would have depended on what was available at the time and so variation would be inevitable.

I must agree. Provided they are not utterly dangerous bodges, don't look unsightly, and function well I tend to leave period modificartons in place. They're part of the bikes history as much as its dings and battle scars.

Indeed, I'm not averse to a few of my own. I rebuild my Claud exactly as per original spec, but I tend to ride up on the hoods to fitted Tektro aero brake levers - it's quite a subtle mod that most people dont spot at first glance, and it increases rideability for me hugely. Similarly, I fitted SPD ledals but went for M540s with the natural alloy finish, and the warm polished appearance suits the bikes character very well.

I am now part of that bikes history and in 30 or 40 years another custodian of this fine machine may wish to make their own subtle changes to keep the bike relevant for modern use, yet still retain its essential character. Far better than it being weighed in for scrap.

OP
OP
W

Windhover

I must agree. Provided they are not utterly dangerous bodges, don't look unsightly, and function well I tend to leave period modificartons in place. They're part of the bikes history as much as its dings and battle scars.

Indeed, I'm not averse to a few of my own. I rebuild my Claud exactly as per original spec, but I tend to ride up on the hoods to fitted Tektro aero brake levers - it's quite a subtle mod that most people dont spot at first glance, and it increases rideability for me hugely. Similarly, I fitted SPD ledals but went for M540s with the natural alloy finish, and the warm polished appearance suits the bikes character very well.

I am now part of that bikes history and in 30 or 40 years another custodian of this fine machine may wish to make their own subtle changes to keep the bike relevant for modern use, yet still retain its essential character. Far better than it being weighed in for scrap.

I can relate to all these comments and they give me a lot of encouragement. Keeping correct period modifications which tell a bike's story is a sound principle. Maybe because I've got such a rusty example I'd take this argument further and say keeping worn chrome and pitted frame is also part of the patina - provided you've cleaned and polished it as far as you can in a home workshop.
I've come from the classic car scene where you go the shows and see so many examples of over-restored cars which now appear in a better condition than when they left the factory whereas 30 years ago they would be shown in their aged condition, only just roadworthy. Classic bikes are not worth this type of investment fortunately.

In nearly every case, patina trumps perfection in my eyes, and I'm also not averse to alterations or "improvements" if it makes them rideable.
Case in point is my "Yello Peril": chipped and scratched (somewhere underneath it's a 531 late 80s Raleigh), but with a modern [claris] groupset and modern wheels that I paid for in beer.
It's both tatty and "wrong" and when I bought it (for £35 I think) everyone thought I was mad, but it's a fabulous ride and my son and I love it.
Also, no-one would look twice at it when parked up, so it's really practical too!
Edit: the Yello Peril - I've just realised it's the only bike in my garage that I've named!
full.jpg

OP
OP
W

Windhover

Good progress this week. Saddle rebuilt; mudguards polished and lacquered handlebars wrapped in green tape and varnished with shellac. Frame assembly commenced. Should be finished next week.

Attachments

• SAM_4145.JPG
    SAM_4145.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 45
  • SAM_4149.JPG
    SAM_4149.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 50
  • SAM_4154.JPG
    SAM_4154.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 47
  • SAM_4141.JPG
    SAM_4141.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 45

carpenter

Über Member
Absolutely marvellous that you have achieved so much so far - more detail on the saddle would be useful, I can't quite make out whether the leather is the original cleaned up or a replacement?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
It's both tatty and "wrong" and when I bought it (for £35 I think) everyone thought I was mad, but it's a fabulous ride and my son and I love it.
Also, no-one would look twice at it when parked up, so it's really practical too! View attachment 455145

Yours is nowhere near as tatty and wrong as this 1991 18-23 framed Raleigh:-

Pioneer Pubman Nearside (2).jpg

There are parts from at least 7 different bikes in that contraption, with an initial build cost of £10. It was deliberately made to be as worthless as possible and therefore safe to use in high-risk locations, and is far less nice that your yellow one but similarly it's a good ride and up until now, has always still been there when I've come back to where I've left it.

Perfection is a fool's paradise anyway; there is no such thing as true perfection, even out of the factory gate. There are just different degrees of imperfection from the very minor to the very major. Fundamentally, the frame dictates how a bike will ride above all else, and cosmetic appearance doesn't change that, even if it alters how others perceive the result. The OP's Lenton is never going to be "pretty", but it will be all the more useable and practical for not being "too nice to use" in case it gets knocked and scratched.

but it will be all the more useable and practical for not being "too nice to use" in case it gets knocked and scratched.
That's so true - I've seen loads of examples of folks having had expensive paint jobs etc then been too scared to ride it!
I think my photos of the Yello Peril don't really show how disgusting its mix of nasty paint and even nastier rust it actually is! :laugh:

davidphilips

Veteran
That's so true - I've seen loads of examples of folks having had expensive paint jobs etc then been too scared to ride it!
I think my photos of the Yello Peril don't really show how disgusting its mix of nasty paint and even nastier rust it actually is! :laugh:

LOL, mikeymustard To me anyway theres nothing disgusting about a bike thats used, i would rather see the Yello Peril out on the road than something like an expensive 931 Genesis volare with etap etc hanging in a garage and not used.

LOL, mikeymustard To me anyway theres nothing disgusting about a bike thats used, i would rather see the Yello Peril out on the road than something like an expensive 931 Genesis volare with etap etc hanging in a garage and not used.
So would I.
Though if you've got a 931 Volare hanging unused in your garage, I'd be happy to give it a bit of an airing for you :smile:

Top Bottom