Rusty nuts and bolts and a few mods on Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

12boy

Guru
I'd buy a $25 Shimano bottom bracket and have the shop install it and replace the brake levers with Tektro, Shimano and the like. They are not expensive. I'd also replace the brake and the shifter cables and housing. You can buy expensive ones precut to size or take the ones on there off, label them with tape and have the shop cut cables and housing to fit. Take some pics of how the cables run before removal, though. New brake pads would be good to do at the same time if the old ones are worn, since replacing the cables will requires adjustment any way. The rear brake cable is long and follows a twisty path, and if it is rusty the lever won't return to the open position very easily. As indicated above, there are many YouTube lessons on how to do Brompton maintenance.

OP
OP
Littlewheels

Littlewheels

I agree, probably the best mod you can do, and less than £20 for set of Clark’s or Shimano levers. Yours also doesn’t have the frame clip, again well worth fitting, stops the bike folding up.

I've bought the frame clip! Next stop (after the brakes - thanks for this suggestion btw) will be the rear wheel hinge clamp.

Top Bottom