Ryanair bike costs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've just booked my flight to Australia with BA and China Airlines (for most of the flight).

Both are free for a bicycle, BUT they insist that my bike has to be carried in a bag and not just bubble-wrapped!

Fair enough, but my unpacked bike plus bag weighs almost 20 kg, with another 15 kg of baggage to go; I would be charged a surplus of £40 PER KILO, so they can fukk that!

I'll take 20 kg of baggage and buy a new bike over there, instead, and then post my non-discarded stuff back when I return and take my new bike on the plane.

Lone Rider

BigonaBianchi said:
Easyjet however couldnt have been more helpful at basel airport, even had a box for me.

I too used Easyjet from Basel, however they charged 15€, if I remember correctly, for the box.

I have used Ryanair several times, and had only one unpleasant experience. I flew to Memminghem, in Germany, and was horrified to see the "animal" unloading the luggage from the plane drop several suitcases on top of my bike. Fortunately it seemed to have stood up to the beating.

Taking your bike in the plane is very convenient and it is understandable that there is a charge. The alternative of renting, or buying, a bike when you arrive, both of which I have tried, is not the same as touring on your own bike.

Best bet is to pack your bike in a cardboard box, with a lot of padding on the inside - I use the white foam stuff that is used to pack TVs etc.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Best bet is to pack your bike in a cardboard box, with a lot of padding on the inside - I use the white foam stuff that is used to pack TVs etc.
There is strong reverse logic. Yes, if you put it in what looks like a tough box they will throw it around. If you have it in a clear bag as i do, contrary to popular opinion they do not go out of their way to damage it . They can see it is a bike and they put it on top. I have done at least 15 return trips like this and only once had some minor problems

Lone Rider

psmiffy said:
i didnt know that easyjet will supply a box - how do you go about sorting this in advance

Although I was using an Easyjet flight, the box was supplied by the Swiss Airport Authorities - that is what was printed on the side of it - so will only be available in Swiss airporrts.

jay clock said:
There is strong reverse logic. Yes, if you put it in what looks like a tough box they will throw it around. If you have it in a clear bag as i do, contrary to popular opinion they do not go out of their way to damage it . They can see it is a bike and they put it on top. I have done at least 15 return trips like this and only once had some minor problems

When I had problems in Memmingham the bike was not in a box, I just cycled to the airport and hand over the bike without any packing.

Lone Rider - Shame - I have not been on easyjet for a couple of years - I thought maybe they had become enlightened

From a cost point of view I am genenerally happy to pay (its not normally a significant percentage of he overall tour cost) because it give me a right to take my bike and gear on the plane

An airline that i am looking at using is Lufthansa -they seem to fly to a lot of places and last time I looked they seemed to have a reasonable bike policy - it would mean changing in germany to a lot of destinations but generally overall travel times would be similar for me - does anyone have any experience with them

Lone Rider

Mr Smiffy,
I've just read about your tour down France to the Med. WHAT A LOT OF LUGGAGE! I don't normally use capital letters, but I am amazed at all the extras you took with you.

Lone Rider - By the time I got back there was very few things that I considered to be extras - in fact there were things that I wish I could have found space for

(AND I DID WARN YOU)

Top Bottom