S Bag / Brompton front bags in general

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Guru
What a brilliant invention and why didn't I get one earlier?
A) it's a joy to fit and the whole block thing seems well designed.
B) I really like that the bag doesn't move as you turn the front bars / wheel and you can still fold and unfold the bike with it attached if you are that way inclined
C) even with a heavy load the handling is still fine
D) my shoulder is thanking me for getting one for Christmas, rather than the messenger bag I was using.

Why has it taken me 9 years to get one?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Oh you!!!! I'm trying to convince myself I don't need to spend £105 on one and here you are singing its praises.

Grrrrrr.

OP
OP
T4tomo

T4tomo

Guru
That is possibly why I didn't buy one 9 years ago or anytime between then and now until I treated myself to one as my Xmas present from the family. It is damn good though if you are commuting and / or regularly carrying stuff.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
The Brompton bag system is a key part of the appeal to me. I've owned a C-Bag, and currently mostly use the Game Bag and occasionally (mostly when travelling) the T-Bag – all fantastic.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I suppose we should remind @T4tomo to keep an eye on the tightness of the bag mounting block.

They have been known to come loose, vibrate, which in turns damages the threads in the frame, which are quite hard to repair.

It's about the only fault in what is, as @Trikeman says, an excellent system.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
The bracket comes with patchlock bolts (at least, mine did) but it's worth checking.
The T-Bag is easily big enough for a weeks touring luggage, if you travel reasonably light...
Nov2014 pictures from phone 019.jpg

Brommyboy

Über Member
I have used a front bag for years now, touring fully laden as well as for shopping, and never had the bolts come loose. For the early blocks, the washer was fitted in an illogical position, ie under the trigger, not the bolt head, but otherwise this is a marvellous system.

Crankarm

Guru
I have one of the older touring panniers with FULL metal frame, NO plastic at all like the new ones, so it is very strong and rigid handling a huge weight with ease. The bag is like a tardis and still going strong after 10+ years. The new Brompton front touring bags and frames to support them look so flimsy by comparison. The Ortlieb touring pannier looks good though but it costs £195.00 but is still not as big as mine.

Brommyboy

Über Member
I have both the original steel frame and the newer composite aluminium/plastic type. Apart from the newer one being 10oz lighter, there appears to be no difference in robustness: I use this one for cycle-camping tours as any weight saved is a boon.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I suppose we should remind @T4tomo to keep an eye on the tightness of the bag mounting block.

They have been known to come loose, vibrate, which in turns damages the threads in the frame, which are quite hard to repair.

It's about the only fault in what is, as @Trikeman says, an excellent system.

Liquid threadlock or a dab of superglue as the block is usually lifetime fit and forget piece????

I'd assume there's enough bolt length for knurled grippy washer or split springy types to help overcome any loosening??

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Tbh I've had lots of Bromptons and all the luggage types since 2009. My 1st B did 14000 miles and I'm a member on the yahoo group. I've not heard of the screws coming loose being an issue anywhere before.

Top Bottom