Sabbath AR1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Have fun but try to be objective as well. How long is the test ride?

vickster

Legendary Member
I have one with the Ti post....well worth the extra :okay:(just avoid the silver seat collar, mine wasn’t tight enough and the post got scratched to hell and Spa had to replace both) . I spent about a year looking at all the Ti options around the country :laugh:

See my avatar ^^

You’re rather closer to Harrogate than me! Take your own saddle and shoes with you for the test ride (and cycling kit). They’ll let you try out for as long as you want (get there early). I didn’t test for as long as I might have as it was a wet day and I had a friend with me

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Checking frame size as much as anything else. Set on a Ti frame with discs. Geometry, reviews and price all converge nicely on the AR1 IMO.

Now, is a Ti seat post worth the cost?

I have one. They are not worth it but by golly they look good. :-)

This in spades :laugh:

The test ride should be open ended - they just let me leave my backpack in the shop and let me get on with it when I went up there to test ride the Elan. Then, after paying a deposit for my purchase, they offered the use of the test bike for as long as I wanted as it was a few hours before my train home.

I hope you've got a good test route sorted - I took the road down to Knaresborough then up the Beryl Burton cycleway to Bilton Lane and along the Bilton to Starbeck cycleway (all tarmac surfaces).

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
Well, that was interesting.

The AR1 was good. Equipped with 105 11 speed and hydraulic discs with 28mm tyres and utilizing a full carbon fork. A 54cm frame was the right size for me. It felt quite racy, in handling and my position on the bike but it was smooth to ride and soaked up tarmac bumps and root ridges easily. I think it would be quite twitchy if pushed hard though. The handlebars were at the top of the steering post so no option to raise these and I would also change the stem for longer one after the test. I don't think it would suit me for long rides even with these changes. I didn't fall in love with it.

I also tested a Spa Elan. Same chainset, brakes and tyre size. Also a 54cm frame but more relaxed geometry suited to my cycling needs +/- pannier carrying. The fork was carbon with a steel steering post which was uncut and so the bars were a few cm higher the the AR1. I rode the same circuit but kept going a few miles further it was so nice. It still would need a longer stem and a couple of cm off the steering post but even without getting these done I am sure it be comfortable for 100+ mile ride.

That's what test rides are for. Looks like I will be getting an Elan. Probably 105 11 speed compact with a droplink so I can fit a bigger cassette. Not sure about wheelset yet (handbuilt or factory, clincher or tubeless?) but set on 32mm tyres.

Excited +++

vickster

Legendary Member
I have the stem flipped on mine which helps a lot (also the medium/54cm). Mine’s an 11speed Sram rival (50-34/11-32) (I much prefer to Shimano)....but with TRP Spyre mechanical discs and crosslever brakes which I won’t do without. The hydraulic hoods on current group sets (other than Dura Ace) are a fugly abomination to my eyes and can’t be paired with secondary brakes

I also considered the Elan but didn’t like the finishing around the welds which was rather untidy, at least on the demo model, and would have bothered me on a 2k bike even if just cosmetic

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker

The AR1 was good. Equipped with 105 11 speed and hydraulic discs with 28mm tyres and utilizing a full carbon fork. A 54cm frame was the right size for me. It felt quite racy, in handling and my position on the bike but it was smooth to ride and soaked up tarmac bumps and root ridges easily. I think it would be quite twitchy if pushed hard though. The handlebars were at the top of the steering post so no option to raise these and I would also change the stem for longer one after the test. I don't think it would suit me for long rides even with these changes. I didn't fall in love with it.

I also tested a Spa Elan. Same chainset, brakes and tyre size. Also a 54cm frame but more relaxed geometry suited to my cycling needs +/- pannier carrying. The fork was carbon with a steel steering post which was uncut and so the bars were a few cm higher the the AR1. I rode the same circuit but kept going a few miles further it was so nice. It still would need a longer stem and a couple of cm off the steering post but even without getting these done I am sure it be comfortable for 100+ mile ride.

That's what test rides are for. Looks like I will be getting an Elan. Probably 105 11 speed compact with a droplink so I can fit a bigger cassette. Not sure about wheelset yet (handbuilt or factory, clincher or tubeless?) but set on 32mm tyres.

Excited +++
I went up to Spa looking for a tourer and ended up with an Elan, though the 10 speed with hydraulic disk brakes version.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Excited +++

On a nice bike like that, that you really enjoy.
Speak to DCR Wheels about some wheels made to your spec. Not as expensive as you would think.

Jenkins

Legendary Member

Excited +++
The Elan with 105 hydraulics is what I have, but I use it for general riding & commuting not touring. It's the model with the full carbon fork they were doing up 'till recently and running on the handbuilt wheels they did as part of a deal, Ti seatpost and 32mm tyres (currently Vittoria Voyager Hypers, but GP 4 seasons are next to go on). Glad you enjoyed it and welcome to the Ti fold!

Top Bottom