Sad old Dawes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
This is my sad old Dawes. Some people said that it wasn't worth it. It was free and all it cost me was a lot of time and effort . I looked upon it as a challenge . I managed to salvage a lot of the parts and got it rideable . It rides well . It needs some more work doing to it but it is on hold for the moment .

I'm glad it turned out so well. The only misgvings I had at the time were because of possible fire damage to the frame joints. I would never condone scrapping a frame smply because it isn't very valuable, all the time it has the potential to make a useful bke.

I'm glad it turned out so well. The only misgvings I had at the time were because of possible fire damage to the frame joints. I would never condone scrapping a frame smply because it isn't very valuable, all the time it has the potential to make a useful bke.
That's okay .
I checked what damage had resulted from the fire . It seems as though there was insufficient heat to cause much damage . The mudguards and tyres had burnt away but things like brake cables and aluminium brake calipers were still fine . The calipers had been blackened and the cable outers had melted but the cable was still springy . I looked at the lug joints and there weren't any gaps or signs of brazing melting . I think that the heat caused the lacquer to melt and burn leaving the aluminium base layer intact in places .
I have done 134 miles on it and it rides well . I will have to think of what to do next on it .

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
. I will have to think of what to do next on it .

Give it a fresh coat of paint and keep riding it! Many a rider acquired a lifelong appreciation for cycling having ridden a fairly low budget model as a youngster. One of my work colleagues always refers to his long-departed Dawes Fox, a basic spec "racer", whenever he sees me with either of my drop bar 531 machines.
Like me with my Raleigh Arena, he used to go everywhere on his Fox before he was old enough to drive.

Twilkes

Guru
I can't see this thread title without thinking of this:

dawson_crying.jpg

Obviously post dated my time as a programmer. I had to google Dawson's Creek.
Have you recovered now ? :whistle:

Top Bottom