Saddle advice for my ageing bum!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Guru
I have been very happy on my Specialized Oura saddle for about 6 or 7 years now. Measured correctly for the width of my sit bones (narrow), it has a cut out reducing soft tissue pressure and it's shape allows me to comfortably shift position on longer rides.
I wear endura padded bibs and replace them every couple of years as the pad compresses a bit.
Ageing and menopause have lead me to lose some of my natural padding. Basically, my @rse is bonier than it once was and I am suffering with pain and pressure on my sit bones on rides over about 30 miles.
I know saddles and @rses are very personal but can anyone recommend something the same shape as my saddle but with more padding? Or do I need to rethink the shape altogether? Different shorts? Some other solution?

13 rider

Guru
Has the saddle lost some off its padding over that time period . Could you compare it to a new one in a shop if it's still made

vickster

Legendary Member
I’d head to a Specialized dealer and see what options they have. I had an Oura for a bit, not a very padded saddle at all, didn’t suit me. Don’t think it’s made now, but there may be something similar

Perhaps look at some different shorts too. I believe Endura have thinner pads so perhaps an alternative brand?
Velovixen have an excellent selection and also a very active Facebook group where you can ask advice on all matters female and cycling (closed group so you’ll need to request to join)

Last edited:
After a hamstring injury - I found that I too was sitting on raw bone ! I could see the indentation in a plastic saddle even though I wore padded shorts.

A leather brooks saddle cured it for me as it moulds to shape of your backside. The b17 imperial has a cut out - which is what I use.

Top Bottom