Saddle advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scotsgun

Folks,
I've just returned to bikes after a 15yr absence. I got plastered across Tottenham Court Rd by a foreign driver in a transit, whilst a bike courier. I ended up with both legs getting pinned so the bikes had to go. I'm now a fat old git who can't see his toes (amongst other things) unless bent forward so have returned in order to get rid of some of the lard.
I spent a few weeks trawling the forums, visiting Halfords and the other chains (what happened to the independent shops) and got so confused by all the new kit and terminology. I eventually went to Decathlon with the intention of buying the Tridan 3 racer but much preferred the F3 road bike.
I've now used it a few times for approx 10 miles each time and my bum is killing me. The saddle is cutting me in half. Can anyone suggest a saddle that won't reduce me to tears?
Thanks

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Many on here will recommend a charge spoon.

Personally I don't think 30 miles of riding is enough to determine the current saddle isn't good enough. If not already, wearing padded shorts, making sure they and you are clean (you after the ride as well) and using something like sudocrem will help whilst your rear gets used to the saddle.

Saying all that, if you can find a local Specialized dealer, they have an arsemeter that measures your sit bones and tells you what width saddle will best suit you. That way you can determine straight away if the saddle you have is the wrong size.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What he says. It takes a while to get used to the bike. Charge spoons are good and cheap. Other choice is the Selle Italia range from £30 upwards. But saddles are a bit bum specific.

Venod

Eh up

ayceejay

Guru
I will stick my neck out and say that the saddle on a low end bike is the first place where manufacturers cut their cost. The guy in my LBS reckons that these bikes should be on show with cardboard saddles to allow the customer to choose his own. Having said that price is no guarantee of satisfaction and you really have to try before you buy, of the three saddles I have the cheapest (Specialized Avatar TI) is the best for me. And be prepared to change again when some of that lard has melted.

awfulquiet

Selle SMP for me.. Their leather ones are eye-wateringly expensive, but the plastic ones are quite reasonable...

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Brooks B17 for me, after 100 miles of bedding in i can ride without padded shorts comfortably , little expensive but well worth it in my opinion.

I concur. I had crippling arse trouble after one long ride, and was advised to get a Brooks leather saddle, so I did - a B17 as it happens. For me at least there was no "breaking in" - just comfy from the off. Around 30 years on bought same again for my new bike. I now slightly favour the "team pro" - but I guess B17 would be better if you're a big lad

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Keep the saddle you've got, get some good padded shorts, ride lots, your bum will get used to it.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Matters not what anyone else finds comfortable - get padded shorts as already advised and get your bum width measured and buy appropriate width saddle. Then ride!

I only agree with part of this ie one man's brooks is another man's torture instrument and all that. However regarding padded shorts - although I do wear them, and they are "a good thing", they are not the answer to a saddle problem. Good saddle (for you) means you don't need bike shorts, although they are a bonus. Bad saddle can't be overcome by good shorts, though mitigated slightly at best..

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Brooks B17 for me, after 100 miles of bedding in i can ride without padded shorts comfortably , little expensive but well worth it in my opinion.
Halfords either have, or just had, a bunch of B17s for sale at £32 delivered. May be worth a look. They only had the honey, not the black, locally but I guess you won't be looking at it when you're riding it.

Top Bottom