Saddle Bags

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crankyray

Hello all , newbie here .

im looking at buyin a saddle bag, can anyone reccommend a decent one ??

big enough to carry a few essentials for a day ride .. i.e rain jacket,spare tube,multi tool, a snack or two.

cheers :thumbsup:

barnesy

Hi,

I have the large topeak wedge saddle bag and it fits alot in it.

On a long ride i would carry a spare tube, patches, multi tool, tyre leavers, sweets/snack and a lightweight jacket and theres still room for other things, ive fitted key, wallet and a phone in along with this lot. Theres a pocket inside for change etc and it can unzip to folt out a little bit more space.

I got it because there is a strap below it to hold my pump aswell and a loop to clip a light at the back pocket.

Brilliant bag and holds everything you could need, although you may want to go with a smaller one and just use your jersey pockets for some things.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Hi,

I have the large topeak wedge saddle bag and it fits alot in it.

On a long ride i would carry a spare tube, patches, multi tool, tyre leavers, sweets/snack and a lightweight jacket and theres still room for other things, ive fitted key, wallet and a phone in along with this lot. Theres a pocket inside for change etc and it can unzip to folt out a little bit more space.

I got it because there is a strap below it to hold my pump aswell and a loop to clip a light at the back pocket.

Brilliant bag and holds everything you could need, although you may want to go with a smaller one and just use your jersey pockets for some things.

I bought one of those a couple of weeks ago. I found that I needed this bracket to mount it on the seat post.....

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=7364

The bag was way too long to fix to the saddle and post without it. A word of warning. Make sure that the elbow joint in the bracket is done up tightly. The joint can come apart on bumpy rides if you do not. It happened to me.

If you run out of storage space, as I did, having discarded the rack and panniers for a light-weight ride, why not consider this bag, in addition. It is very uncool, but it works....

http://www.abus.de/us/main.asp?Scre...79698107&select=0104d02&artikel=4003318429514

Good luck, and have fun.

MJN

I would definitely recommend the Topeak Aero range. A variety of sizes, great quality and good value for money.

I would avoid the clip-based attachments as they can often break and are nowhere near as durable/flexible as the standard strap versions. A solution looking for a problem in my view (but many manufacturers are doing it so they can't really afford to miss out).

Mathew

OP
OP
C

crankyray

cheers to all for the replies ...

im down to a choice of the topeak one as mentioned above

or this one which has had a few good reviews .
15711_1_Large.jpg

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Hi Crankyray

I can recommend the altura one above, as I have one which I switch between bikes (buy another seatpost mount) ABBA  holds a great deal and is easy to clip on and off, It's a mini tardis in reality   :thumbsup:

Buy one you'll not be disappointed

Norm

jimboalee

There are Saddle bags, made by Carradice which need 'bag loops' on the rear of the saddle, or there are Saddle PACKs which have Velcro straps for the saddle rails and seatpost.

There's other stuff which needs the complication of a special bracket that clamps on the seatpost.

Which type do you want?

Smithy

Veteran
I've got a Specialized Dirtbag Seatpack.

It contains two pockets of which the bottom one is expandable.

specialized-dirtbag-seatpack.jpg

goon

I bought a carradice saddlebag with a small seatpost clamp on frame for £26 in 1988-still got it and holds loads,had it on 3 bikes excellent kit.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I wanted a bag for similar purposes that didn't look too big & bulky on my road bike when I came across
ALFUSDAY7.jpg

At the time it was only £15 from Cyclesense, but it doesn't appear to be reduced anymore

Top Bottom