Saddle Bolt for Giant TCR

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Erasmus

Hi. I hope you can help me, but I've tried looking this up and got nowhere.

I've got a Giant TCR Advanced (2019) with variant composite seatpost, and Contend Forward saddle. Having messed around with various saddles, and saddle position, I've pretty much wrecked the adjusting bolt using cheap allen keys.

I think the bolt is an M5 or an M8, but cannot be sure on this - does anyone know what the right bolt type is? Thanks, John.

Cycleops

Legendary Member

OP
OP
E

Erasmus

Thanks Cycleops. I did look at that but, being a tight wad, thought I might just get a handful of the right bolts for cheaper as there's nothing wrong with the rest of the saddle clamp mechanism.

I've ordered myself a set of better quality allen keys than the cheapo ones I have, so hopefully will not continue stripping the seat bolt heads in future. I'm ham fisted though, so will probably find another way of wrecking them instead!

Thanks again, and I might end up getting that full assembly afterall.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks Cycleops. I did look at that but, being a tight wad, thought I might just get a handful of the right bolts for cheaper as there's nothing wrong with the rest of the saddle clamp mechanism.

I've ordered myself a set of better quality allen keys than the cheapo ones I have, so hopefully will not continue stripping the seat bolt heads in future. I'm ham fisted though, so will probably find another way of wrecking them instead!

Thanks again, and I might end up getting that full assembly afterall.

Ask your LBS? Or a Giant dealer?

OP
OP
E

Erasmus

Thanks Vickster, again I'll do that if I have to. However, I'm pretty sure the bolt is an M8 or an M5. As I'm know going to be off the bike for a few weeks, the plan is to just take the existing bolt, and the accompanying nut, to just source a handful of bolts of the right thread and size.

In fact (and I'm annoyed I didn't think of this before) I could try a bolt from my other bike (and/or from a spare seatpost and saddle set that I've got) - I bet one of them fits. Doh, really should have thought of trying this first!

Thanks again, John.

DRM

Guru
If there's a fixings retailer near to you, nip in with the offending item and ask if they've got one of these, there's every chance they'll just give you one as it's too much hassle to book out one bolt :okay:

OP
OP
E

Erasmus

If there's a fixings retailer near to you, nip in with the offending item and ask if they've got one of these, there's every chance they'll just give you one as it's too much hassle to book out one bolt :okay:

Thanks, but I've since discovered what a numpty I am (twice over).

First for not trying a bolt off my spare seatpost and saddle set, which turned out to be exactly the same thread and length. Second, the reason I was stripping the Giant seatpost bolt was that I was using a 5mm Allen Key (nearest fit), whereas the Giant seatpost was fitted with a Torcx headed bolt. The bolt I've swapped from my old seatpost is a nice straightforward 5mm Allen head.

I know there's some arguement for Torcx being better, but I'm happier sticking to my allen Key set, paticularly if out on the road and feeling I need to adjust my saddle postion.

Thank again to everyone for replies, John.

Top Bottom