Saddle fell off!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arfcollins

Soft southerner.
Out for a long ride today in the lovely weather. Just started climbing a hill and the bolts holding the saddle sheared. Luckily I managed to avoid hitting the seat-post with my important bits!

Then had 3 miles of stand-up riding to home.That was hard work. I now have a bit more respect for those youngsters on their BMXs who use the 'peddle then cruise' method.

Peowpeowpeowlasers

One thing I never skimp on (not saying you did) is a seatpost - they're critical safety components. For the MTB I bought a Thompson Elite:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=6066

It's a fantastic bit of kit that I reckon will last longer than me. BTW, Hope have just started making seatposts. Worth checking out, I love Hope components.

Threadjack - I have a Shimano Ultegra seatpost stuck in my old steel Mercian frame. Any ideas on how to get it out? Presumably it's the old alu-steel corrosion problem.

HovR

Über Member
Threadjack - I have a Shimano Ultegra seatpost stuck in my old steel Mercian frame. Any ideas on how to get it out? Presumably it's the old alu-steel corrosion problem.

This should help!

These recent threads are making me glad I changed my seatpost on the Dawes recently. The old one has some fairly deep score marks near the clamp from the previous owner, which looked like a structural weak point.

I got a good deal on a seatpost off an Allez - £5 posted for a dual bolt micro adjust! Looks like it's had barely any use, despite it being preowned. I imagine the owner bought the bike and instantly swapped his old seatpost and saddle combo over.

D

Deleted member 1258

Out for a long ride today in the lovely weather. Just started climbing a hill and the bolts holding the saddle sheared. Luckily I managed to avoid hitting the seat-post with my important bits!

Then had 3 miles of stand-up riding to home.That was hard work. I now have a bit more respect for those youngsters on their BMXs who use the 'peddle then cruise' method.

When that happened to me many years ago I was in the centre of Coventry on a Saturday dinnertime :blush:
I'd stood on the pedals to pull away from some lights and when I sat down the Saddle fell off, didn't do me any damage fortunately, but I had to walk back down the road picking up the saddle and other bits that had fell off, fortunately I wasn't to far from home. The cause was a stripped thread in the aluminium piece on top of the saddle clamp that the bolt screwed into.

Top Bottom