Saddle Fitting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Onthedrops

Veteran
Never had a bike fit or indeed saddle fitting.
My woes around the buttock region I recently mentioned have now driven me to looking into a saddle fit.

Would it be a worthwhile exercise having a bike fit whilst I'm at it?

Any of you knowledgeable people have any experience with the above?
I would appreciate any recommendations on good bike and saddle fitters in the West Yorkshire region please?

steve50

Disenchanted Member
How many weeks / months have you been in the saddle as your sit bones do take time to "settle in". If you suspect it is indeed the saddle and it would seem a few people have had issues with the stock giant saddles it might be worth investing £20 in a new saddle. http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...A0.H0.Xcharge.TRS0&_nkw=charge+spoon&_sacat=0
The saddle of choice for me after suffering a sore butt for some time was / is a Charge Spoon. Once I had replaced the stock saddle that came with my bike with a new charge spoon my aching butt problem simply vanished.
The options you have are spend £20 on a saddle or £100+ on a bike fit that might well involve a new saddle anyway.
There is a mobile bike fitter that operates in our area, http://www.thebikefitter.co.uk/

Last edited:

S-Express

Never had a bike fit or indeed saddle fitting.
My woes around the buttock region I recently mentioned have now driven me to looking into a saddle fit.

Would it be a worthwhile exercise having a bike fit whilst I'm at it?

Any of you knowledgeable people have any experience with the above?
I would appreciate any recommendations on good bike and saddle fitters in the West Yorkshire region please?

'Saddle fitters' do not really exist in any meaningful sense.

Getting your sitbones measured by a shop (usually free of charge) might help in finding a suitable saddle, but if you don't have any other obvious fit issues, then paying for a bike fit could be seen as a waste of money.

Dave7

Legendary Member
where about "oop north" are you ?........maybe someone can recommend a good lbs.
I tried a Sella Italia..........it really looked & felt that it could solve all my sore a***e problems but alas it didn't.
I got the Fizik that my lbs recommended.........he measured the sit bones etc. and Fizik have various styles to suit age/flexibility etc. TBH I didn't like the look of it and told the lbs so but he said (and I quote) "this will solve your problems".
lo and behold I went out next day and did the 68 miler with no real discomfort.

Last edited:
Why do we have to keep buying random brands /models to get one that fits. With shoes, if one is too small, I can get the next size up.

Slick

Guru
I was measured for my saddle during a bike fit. They put a sensor sheet over your current saddle to see where the weight is. Mine was right on the perineum, which wasn't pleasant. Quick run up to the lbs for the type recommended and no problems ever since.

Goggs

Guru
Why do we have to keep buying random brands /models to get one that fits. With shoes, if one is too small, I can get the next size up.

Many saddles these days come in multiple sizes. SQlab saddles come in a minimum of three widths, some in four. Not cheap though.

OP
OP
Onthedrops

Onthedrops

Veteran
where about "oop north" are you ?........maybe someone can recommend a good lbs..

I'm in West Yorkshire, Huddersfax to be more specific!

Kajjal

Guru
Have think of where the pain is, I had a saddle that was too narrow and it cut me in half. Measured my sit bones, got a wider saddle with a bigger cutaway and no problems since. Also think about how your weight is distributed between the front and rear of the bike. Too much to the front tends to give numb hands and too much to the rear back pain and various seat issues depending on your body.

OP
OP
Onthedrops

Onthedrops

Veteran
wheelspin cycles in lockwood had a fancy bike fit area last time I was in. Maybe give them a ring? They seem nice enough guys

That road in your profile pic looks very familiar. Would I be right in assuming it's the same as my profile pic a la Holme Moss?

kiriyama

That road in your profile pic looks very familiar. Would I be right in assuming it's the same as my profile pic a la Holme Moss?

yes it is, went up there today, bit windy! took a friend from out of town on a little tour of some local climbs... got a terrible time on the way up iv got a cold I just can't shift!

Top Bottom