Saddle for a sore lady...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Christopher

Über Member
Almost every lady cyclist I know well has had to try several saddles before finding one that suited, so it was important to find an LBS with a good 'try-it-out-before-you-buy' policy.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:
what about a recumbent? :rolleyes: she might find that comfy

I'm quite sure she would. But I don't think she's up for spending that much, just to go on the odd ride round the lanes with her hubby. But I'll add it to the list...

(Waffly and littlered, I just spoke to her, and yes, she's perfectly up to date with seeing the docter etc - I guess it's just something (I haven't asked her for too much detail) that she's stuck with unfortunately...

Anyway, I'm sending her all the links, plus one for this:

http://www.ideainternational.biz/DDWings.htm

domtyler

Über Member
I would advise her to try padded Lycra shorts, either on their own or underneath her normal attire instead of normal knickers. the lycra decreases friction which reduces any rubbing.

Talking of women suffering in silence, no details but I heard of a woman who went for a smear test, the first one in many years. When the nurse asked her to undress her lower half the woman's entire womb was out and had been nicely washed and powdered. It had been like this for around thirty years since she gave birth to her last child.

Shaun

Founder
Maybe check the seat post isn't too high as well? (If so, the associated rocking motion may cause excessive pressure/abrasion)

I'd also suggest trying a longer, thinner saddle - they may look less comfy, but I've always found them to be just the opposite. The wider/fatter ones always make me sore within a few short miles.

My current favourite is the Fizik Aliante.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Cheers admin, thanks for the thought, I'll mention it. She's quite short, so it's possible...

Dom... Thanks for that image. Just as I get back from lunch...

I'll suggest padded shorts, although I did wonder if the padding might lead to pressure just where it's not wanted. But the lack of friction is a good thought...

alicat

Legendary Member
Arch

I thought you were going to say your sister had had the baby and was wanting to get back on her bike! ;)

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
alicat said:
Arch

I thought you were going to say your sister had had the baby and was wanting to get back on her bike! ;)

See thread in Cafe!

My sister is not a cyclist. But I'm choosing nephew's first bike now...

Top Bottom