Saddle issue - please help!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Manonabike

Über Member
Today I figured out that my seat should be about an inch back but when I tried to push it back I realised it just wont go any further back. Books saddles don't have much room to play with in terms of positioning.....

Is it possible to buy a seat clamp that takes the narrower rails in the front and standard rail width at the back?

Maybe there is another way around it..... open to suggestions ;)

Any help will be much appreciated as I would really like to try my saddle an inch backwards...

Gary P

Über Member
Some companies make a 'lay-back' seat post. Might be worth looking for one of those. Are you using the rails of the Brooks or the clamp that sometimes comes with them?

OP
OP
Manonabike

Manonabike

Über Member
Using the rails of the brooks.

a seat post sounds good, probably a more expensive solution though ;)

Globalti

Legendary Member
Does it have one of those old-fashioned steel clamps which grips two pairs of rails? They can be fitted behind the seatpost as well as in front of it.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
When i mistakenly bought a bike that was too big i got a saddle extendor that you can mount so you can have the saddle either more for ward or backward.

Think it might still be in the shed ........

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
You could buy a different saddle with longer rails .......... they are by no means all the same, and you haven't told us what setback/layback your seatpost has, if any.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Thomson make the best layback seatpost you can buy

OP
OP
Manonabike

Manonabike

Über Member
hubgearfreak said:

That looks promising, very promising in fact :-) I wonder how strong it is though ..... I'm not a light feather by any means :biggrin:

I did think about buying a charge spoon saddle.... maybe I will but the point is that I want to keep my brooks team pro.

I should really post a picture of the saddle...... here is an old one

4388339468_ff32e04dc2_b.jpg

jimboalee

A 'Saddle clip' is a removable clamp between a seatpost and the saddle rails.

A 'microjust' seatpillar has the saddle rails clamp integral to the top of the pillar.

Most Microjust seatpillars are designed to have the same offset as the Saddle clip.

If, and only IF, your frame's seat angle is correct, you can use a tubular seatpost and clip OR a Microjust seatpillar with the clamp parts at a central position along the saddle rails.

The 'Extender' devices suggested are a cheap fix for those people who acquire a frame for free but its seat angle is 1.5 degrees too steep.
The 'Extender' devices do not solve all problems, insomuch as they are taking shock loads of the weight of the rider's torso on a cantilever. Sometime unexpectedly, they might break, and then the rider will either be standing up home or walking.

A Cinelli or Deda seatpillar has the normal design. The Deda Magic is only £46.

If you already have this set-up, it probably means your seat angle is too steep for your upper and lower leg lengths. You must have long femurs, indicating you were overfed as a child….

OP
OP
Manonabike

Manonabike

Über Member
jimboalee said:
A 'Saddle clip' is a removable clamp between a seatpost and the saddle rails.

A 'microjust' seatpillar has the saddle rails clamp integral to the top of the pillar.

Most Microjust seatpillars are designed to have the same offset as the Saddle clip.

If, and only IF, your frame's seat angle is correct, you can use a tubular seatpost and clip OR a Microjust seatpillar with the clamp parts at a central position along the saddle rails.

The 'Extender' devices suggested are a cheap fix for those people who acquire a frame for free but its seat angle is 1.5 degrees too steep.
The 'Extender' devices do not solve all problems, insomuch as they are taking shock loads of the weight of the rider's torso on a cantilever. Sometime unexpectedly, they might break, and then the rider will either be standing up home or walking.

A Cinelli or Deda seatpillar has the normal design. The Deda Magic is only £46.

If you already have this set-up, it probably means your seat angle is too steep for your upper and lower leg lengths. You must have long femurs, indicating you were overfed as a child….

I think I'm still overfeeding :biggrin:

There must be something wrong.... the bike is big enough for me. It's a 23" frame and I'm 6' tall so it's not like the bike it's too small for me. However, Ive noticed lately that by stretching back (over the end of the saddle) my back, arms, shoulders, etc feel so comfortable..... I think I'm doing something wrong here.

Joe

Über Member
Thomsons are great bits of kit but no good if you need a large setback. The setback model only has 16mm offset, and the long clamp limits your adjustability anyway. Your traditional setback seatpost has 25mm offset and if you're willing to splash out you can get more.

To be honest you might struggle unless you get a saddle with longer rails. I've given up on Brooks due to their stupidly short rails. I'm not hideously out of proportion but as I've learned to rotate my hips forward whilst riding I prefer to get further behind the BB. Even on my slack angled tourer with an (expensive!) 45mm offset seatpost I can't get enough setback with a Brooks.

Top Bottom