Saddle Position

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
Hi there

I got a new bike not that long ago. I felt as if I was too stretched out on the bike with regards to reach. I took the bike to a bike shop (not the one where I bought it) because i know the guy there who used to be a bike fitter. Anyway, he has reversed the "plate" (I don't know what you call it - the thing that the saddle sits on) in order to bring the saddle forward a bit. I do feel less stretched out on the bike.

What I wanted to ask was: the pics show what the saddle looks like now. It looks like a perch and looks as if there is no support at the back. What do you think? Is the saddle designed to be switched round like that? The bike is a Bianchi Infinito

Attachments

• IMG20230630170551.jpg
    IMG20230630170551.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG20230630170522.jpg
    IMG20230630170522.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG20230630170444.jpg
    IMG20230630170444.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG20230630170537.jpg
    IMG20230630170537.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG20230630170433.jpg
    IMG20230630170433.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG20230630170523.jpg
    IMG20230630170523.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 12

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Sounds Dodgy to me,you set the saddle setback and height 1 st then adjust reach with stem length,drop and handle bar reach not bodging it.if you had a failure like that the seller would be within their rights to tell you to do one

Sharky

Guru
It does look a bit delicate.
The clamp has been turned round, but the saddle has been pushed back on the rails, reversing some of the gain made by reversing the clamp.
You can probably get the same position by using an in-line seat post or a "Fast Forward" seat post and either of these options will look a bit more stable.

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
It does look a bit delicate.
The clamp has been turned round, but the saddle has been pushed back on the rails, reversing some of the gain made by reversing the clamp.
You can probably get the same position by using an in-line seat post or a "Fast Forward" seat post and either of these options will look a bit more stable.

Thanks. Is it safe to ride like that meantime?

D

Deleted member 121159

If reducing the reach was the goal, this is the weirdest possible way of achieving that. Why would anyone do that?

Chislenko

Veteran
I would agree with up thread poster who suggests an inline seat post.

In fact I have just swapped out the swept back for an inline post on my own bike.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Saddle setback is correct when you are no longer shuffling your bum backwards or forwards to try and find a good pedalling position, having first got saddle height right. Saddle height may need a tiny tweak after finding the best setback. Knee over pedal spindle at 3 o'clock is a starting point but not the answer. Reach and hence stem choice are not set at this point - they are done at the end, once setback is determined.

With conventional race bike sizing, the frame size is correct for you if the stem length is in nice proportion to the frame size (e.g. 12-14cm for a large frame, 10-12cm for a medium one, etc). This works less well for MTBs, which tend to use long top tubes and short stems these days.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
1689780055952.png

right so its supposed to be set up like the above, so its a set back style clamp, whic isnt doing you any favours in terms of reach, so i can see why hes reverse it.

if its an Alu post, I'd be tempted to upgrade it to decent carbon seatpost that isn't a set back one. i.e an "inline" one.

Then if that doesn't sort out the reach issue, get an 80mm stem (assuming you've got a 100mm fitted).

davy

I am not a techie expert in this stuff.....BUT.....I recently had issues with back/shoulder ache after about 10 miles...my saddle was as far forward as it could go...so I bought a shorter reach stem...if I err not it was a 80mm replacing the standard 100mm...such a difference ...really benificial .....I was also able to sell the replaced stem for £5 on Sleebay ...offsetting the £25 spent on the new stem.
In addition.....I also realised I was tensing my shoulders whilst riding , so now I remember to relax my shoulders and the aches have all but vanished.......I just have the sore bum to contend with now LoL

Top Bottom