Broken Rails .. Selle Italia “ Men” saddle…

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Broke the rails on the saddle … Actually bent the seat pin as well … Falmouth Quarry car park height barrier, 1 … Davids new bike, 0.
The bikes fine, the saddle seat itself is undamaged .. the rails are snapped … The bikes ok ..
I need some replacement rails …. Any ideas chaps and chapesses ?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Buy a new saddle and seat post. Thank your lucky stars the car park bar wasn't lower (or bike higher).

OP
OP
Landsurfer

Landsurfer

Veteran
The plot thickens … the height restriction bar is clearly marked 2.2 meters.
We drove underneath it last summer with a bike on the back with no problem..
At a local friends suggestion… We returned to the scene 30 mins ago … there is a new speed bump …
Under The Height Restriction Bar … !!
The actual gap is < 2.18 meters …
Oh dear …. Someone is in for a bad day at work on Wednesday ….
Our friend has mentioned that he knows of 3 local car parks which have had speed bumps installed under the height restriction bar ….

Last edited:
OP
OP
Landsurfer

Landsurfer

Veteran
You say the bike is fine, but I would give the seat tube a close inspection. The seat post and saddle might of taken most of the impact, but there may well be some damage.

I have .. I’ve been an Aircraft / Rail Structural and Mechanical Engineer for 50 years … close inspection for paint cracking and damage to the tube was carried out soon after the impact …
In retrospect I suspect that the impact was more of a glancing blow to the trailing edge of the seat structure compressing the seat and breaking the rails … the bend to the seat pin was as a result of drag forces ..
But thank you for advising.. we are often so close to an event that we miss the obvious …

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I take your point, but counting on the 2 cm difference would be a bit daft!

True, however if last time you very carefully inched under it with a dilligent banksman to check for clearance and no horrendous occurrances; without any warnings that something had changed this time you'd be forgiven for just cracking on; wouldn't you?

Plus the clearance is less than stated so whoever's responsible for that must bear some blame..

Top Bottom