Saddles and Seat Posts:

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jim77

Newbie Questions:

(1) Do all saddles fit all seat posts?

(2) My current seat posts are I believe 31.6 (alloy). I am considering getting a suspension seat post. Couple of questions regarding this. Firstly how do I know that the quality is better than the current non suspension post I have (I want to be upgrading not down grading). Secondly are suspension seat posts any good? If so which ones? How do I know which will fit? Do I need to worry about height and diameter?

Cheers.

Dave5N

Über Member
Why do you want a suspension seat post?

The answer to all your other question lies in a fifteen minute chat at a decent bike shop. Choose a time when they are less busy.

Jim77 said:
I was looking at new Saddles and Seat posts as my current saddle is rather uncomfortable for my tastes. I may well try a new Saddle first and see if that does it. I have been looking at
this Selle Royal:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDeta...9&N=SelleRoyal Look In M-Flex Athletic Saddle

(How do you do short links!!!)

No No NONONONONONONO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lots of gel padding is the Antichrist of saddle comfort!

At around your price range go for this and a decent pair of cycle shorts. If you can, spend a little bit more and go for the Alias, or if you can stretch to it, the Toupe is widely regarded as one of the most comfortable saddles on the market.

02GF74

Über Member
I am not convinced by suspension posts - the fact that it changes sat to bottom bracket centre thus affect your leg postion puts me off them.

Likewise for suspension stems.

In the olden days we used to ride hardtails and rigid front forks down rocky hills and never complained, well not much.:evil:

For road use you need no suspension at all.

biking_fox

Guru
As I'm a road cyclcist, I've not used suspention so I couldn't comment.
but
"Do I need to worry about height and diameter?"

YES.
Diameter - these are measured to the nearest 0.1mm. You need exactly the same diameter as your existing post. If it isn't marked then take the old post in with you can get the LBS to check.

Height - All seat posts have a maximum length, make sure your new post is long enough for your saddle height to be correctly* set, otherwise you risk painful knees.

*Your leg should be just straight but not stretched or bent at the bottom of the peddle stroke.

OP
OP
J

Jim77

As i do not wear cycling shorts does this also not affect my seat choice? I generally wear tracksuit bottoms (or even jeans if off to the pub).

Therefore I was thinking of this:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/saddles/product/ergogel-mens-relaxed-saddle-28801

There does seem to be a lot of opinion on here against these gel type saddles. Is this more true for very long rides from more hardcore cyclists? (I very much a newbie and have not built my fitness enough for vast distances yet.) Or do people think these are just not very good for all types of riding and all types of clothing?

Also there does seem to be a lot of supporters for the Brooks saddles, I don't want to offend anyone but...Are these really that good? Or more of a cult thing? Has science not moved on... ? Discuss: (Apologies in advance for my newbie ignorance.)

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Jim77 said:
As i do not wear cycling shorts does this also not affect my seat choice? I generally wear tracksuit bottoms (or even jeans if off to the pub).

Wear cycle shorts or not shouldn't effect you choice of saddle.

Jim77 said:
There does seem to be a lot of opinion on here against these gel type saddles. Is this more true for very long rides from more hardcore cyclists? (I very much a newbie and have not built my fitness enough for vast distances yet.) Or do people think these are just not very good for all types of riding and all types of clothing?

Gel saddles have a bad name as the soft cushioned type saddles are surprising uncomfortable if you cycle more that a mile and so are best avoided.

Jim77 said:
Also there does seem to be a lot of supporters for the Brooks saddles, I don't want to offend anyone but...Are these really that good? Or more of a cult thing? Has science not moved on... ? Discuss: (Apologies in advance for my newbie ignorance.)

I don't think Brooks saddles a cult thing, for many people really do find them that comfortable, but not all.

No need to Apologise for asking questions, that is what the beginners section is for, we were all newbies once, and most of us are still learning;)

Top Bottom