Saddles and wear on shorts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
Hey guys

I got a new pair of bib shorts end of April and noticed today that they've worn through on the inside of the right leg, the left looks like it's about to go too! I checked my older muddyfox bibs and it's showing signs of wear too! Ive only had the bike about 7 months and cant afford to keep buying new bibs when im commuting 5 days a week!

Is it just a case of replacing the saddle? Or should I just wear footie shorts over the bibs? The one ive got is the standard specialized Riva? Possibly and the wear seems to be at the saddles seams.

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2

sidevalve

Über Member
Seams ? On a saddle !! Bah humbug !! Just buy a Brooks and be done with it

Charge Spoon is one of the worst offenders for eating cycle clothing in my opinion. If you're going to switch saddles, avoid that one...

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Muddyfox wears very fast as its very low quality. I had some and killed them in no time. Theyre good for getting you going, no doubt of that, but it's not gear that's designed to be thrashed as much as we tend to.

boydj

Legendary Member
Charge Spoon is one of the worst offenders for eating cycle clothing in my opinion. If you're going to switch saddles, avoid that one...
Not my experience. I've done thousands of miles with Spoon's on two different bikes with no excess wear on shorts.

OP
OP
Kiwiavenger

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
Quick update, looking at the top of my seat post it appears to be that which is causing the problem.

Would moving my seat up a fraction and forward solve it? I currently have it back as far as it can go

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Quick update, looking at the top of my seat post it appears to be that which is causing the problem.

Would moving my seat up a fraction and forward solve it? I currently have it back as far as it can go

You need to set your saddle according to your body position, not for any other reason! Make sure it's forward enough according to this guide :smile:

http://sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html

Top Bottom