Saddles - does it get better?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom B

Guru
Saddles are a very personal thing and a case of what works for you is the best one.

A lad that I know couldn't find a saddle to suit him for years until he tried a female saddle.

Me.... I have a Charge Spoon and very happy with it I am too.

markharry66

Über Member
never really had a comfortable saddle. Always something that catches, or in pain.
Recently went to Liddles got one of the saddles on one of their recent offers. It was gel saddle never thought it would be much good seems really comfortable in comparison with some the razor blades had in the past for £8 not moaning yet and use it every day for ride into work.

I had a bike fit when I bought my new bike a couple of years ago and they advised a Specialized saddle (I can't remover the model) a relatively wide one. Rode on it for about six months never really got comfy but I persevered and then rode to Paris on it. Absolute agony!!
Got a Charge spoon on reading reviews and was comfier for a while then seemed to get worse.
Recently bought a Fizik Arione which is narrower still which was on offer at Wiggle and I had a gift voucher left over from Christmas so it only cost me £28. I rode a 30 then a 83 miler and was fresh as the proverbial. Go figure!!
I know what my opinions are on bike fits.

When I started getting back into cycling a few years back I started off with a generic road saddle, didn't get on with it at all. Went to Speczd and had sit bones measured (basically sitting on some foam) and bought a Spec saddle for ~£60, didn't get on with it. Then bought a s/h Brooks B17 with ~1000miles on it, really great; comfortable for 200km no issues. I bought a new B17 for another bike, and from new had no issues; OK not quite as comfy as the used one, but fine. There may have been some element of simply 'more miles in the saddle' by then I guess. I ride steel and alu frames, but if I had carbon, it would have a Brooks. :smile:

Levo-Lon

Guru
My cube mtb came with a selle italia x1 seat ..no cut out and its been the best seat ever..
i like charge spoons too but i always get numbness after 30 mins in the little man then after a quick adjustment im fine..cant make up my mind wether its cold or circulation causing the numbness?
But having the tilt right is key..i see some seats set tipped forward and back ..i have mine level..
I use chamois cream and padded shorts..

OP you do wear padded shorts only yes ..no under pants, as that will cause a lot of pain with the cotton.

Goofball

never really had a comfortable saddle. Always something that catches, or in pain.
Recently went to Liddles got one of the saddles on one of their recent offers. It was gel saddle never thought it would be much good seems really comfortable in comparison with some the razor blades had in the past for £8 not moaning yet and use it every day for ride into work.

I got there gel city saddle and it was the best thing I changed on the bike.
That and adjusting it till it felt right.

markharry66

Über Member
I got there gel city saddle and it was the best thing I changed on the bike.
That and adjusting it till it felt right.

Not everything has to be expensive I am impressed with it. Did about 40 miles on it bank holiday Monday no issue so will be buying more for the other bikes.

robjh

Legendary Member
After using a Selle Italia gel model (X0) on my road bike for some years, I'm now getting used to a much firmer Selle Italia SLR. It is fine for faster riding and 70 miles with a group gives me no discomfort at all, but feels very hard on the bum when riding more slowly or upright as I sometimes do on commutes or lone bumbling rides.
I don't feel I've found a happy medium yet for different riding styles.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I find that the faster and more furious the ride, the less I notice the saddle. Have just bought a bike with a painful-looking Selle San Marco Aspide carbon saddle and to my amazement it's not too bad at all.

Goofball

Not everything has to be expensive I am impressed with it. Did about 40 miles on it bank holiday Monday no issue so will be buying more for the other bikes.

I check there reduced bin every time I'm in, got some good bargains on bike stuff.

I got a spare city saddle the next time they had them in.

Top Bottom