Sadiq Khan appoints London's first full-time Walking & Cycling Commmissioner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
"Will Norman starts work in February on a salary of £98,000. He is currently Nike's global partnerships director.... [previously] set up a social research consultancy and was also director of research at The Young Foundation"

Oh well, it's better than some had feared ;)

Tin Pot

Guru
Making people sick by showing pictures of themselves wearing hats?

Bleurgh, you're right - they're just like us:

ramblers75-1.jpg

As little as possible and often wishing more shops and services were ride-through ;)
e7703e07-30e8-4821-b456-517b088c6163?width=664&height=374.jpg

(source, requries cookies)
My arthritic knees wholeheartedly agree!

Wobblers

Euthermic
Walking Commissioner? Walk down any street - if you can that is, as pavements are more usually just extra space for car parking. Then find your way impeded by "safety railings" (whose purpose is solely to spare motorists the onerous duty of actually looking where they're going). When you eventually get to a crossing, you'll have to wait. And wiat And wait. Eventually, when the light does turn green for you, invariably some bellend won't bother stopping. And you'll have to repeat the process to get across the other half of the road.

Small wonder that few people walk, and obesity and unfitness is so common.

Pedestrians get a truly awful deal. Frankly, it's about time they had some sort of say. After all, somewhere that is pleasant to walk is somewhere that is pleasant to live and work in.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Pedestrians are third class citizens in London (and in Copenhagen too).

I'm in favour of any action that seeks to give pedestrians primacy on our streets.

I'm less enthused with the idea that, when awheel, I might now be regarded, or treated like, a two wheeled pedestrian rather than a motor-less vehicle. For fear of ending up in third class.

But we will see how it goes.

Top Bottom