Safe route Gatley to Alderley Edge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Gatley lass

Gatley lass

Über Member
Thanks everyone. Lots of useful routes for me to look at.

I don't want a completely off road route but do like using alternatives to roads where they exist.

I really don't fancy the hill on Styal road as it's a nightmare to drive never mind cycle. I don't mind going through quiet places too much.

I was driving Stanneylands Road recently when Styal Road was closed and it is not a bad option as long as no traffice is diverted that way.

I'll have a good look at all routes and hopefully venture out once the weather is better and it's lighter !

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Well, I needed motivation to ride today, last chance before I start my night shifts tonight. Despite the awful weather I braved the frequent hailstone showers that battered my beautiful face and headed over to Gatley to check out these routes. My curiosity had been piqued when researching the routes and I wanted to see the point where I was suggesting crossing the River Bollin just by Style prison and also was keen to see what Rotherwood Road was like.
To be honest, I didn't need too much encouragement, it's a nice part of Greater Manchester to ride in, some lovely properties if you want to see how the other half live!

I headed over to Gatley and thought it would be best to use the direct 1st route I proposed for the outbound ride. I think it is best done this way because you ride down the drop to the Bollin crossing on the narrow road by Styal prison. The bridge over the river is a proper stone bridge with a smooth tarmac surface and this path continues for a couple of 100 yards until the left turn into Carrwood Road. Carrwood road starts off really rough with a bumpy, irregular stone surface so be warned! This soon settles down and the rest of the streets used to get across to Altrincham Road in Wilmslow are very pleasant, quiet and easy going. Once through Wilmslow it is a case of head down and a fairly monotonous grind along the Alderley Edge bypass. This seems to go on forever and is no fun with a head wind...... :sweat:
The cycle path runs on both sides of the bypass so you can take your pick, but I wouldn't recommend trying to swap sides once you have started because it is basically a motorway.

After a short break at the southern end of the bypass I started back on route 2 which comes off the bypass part way along. Once off Knutsford road it is really a very pleasant route through Morley Green and across to the Honey Bee pub near the airport. The Rotherwood road is completely closed to traffic, just a bridleway by the looks of it. The surface is covered with a very thin layer of mud and directly under this is a hard stony surface. There is a definite defined used line along here and even on almost slick tyres it was no problem, despite last nights downpours and the hail/sleet today. I suggest mudguards are a good idea though :smile:

The short stretch of the A538 from the Honey Bee down to the roundabout at the bottom of the runway tunnels seemed to have a cycle path along its length so that should be fine and the road around the airport perimeter fence is easy if you avoid the big puddles that probably never dry out.

Both routes seem to work well and using one out and the other back avoids the worst stretch of styal road at that awkward corner/climb. I enjoyed the ride and exploring some new routes and the ride ended with the mother of all hail storms just in the last half mile before I got home which whited out the roads!

Good luck with your commute @Gatley lass , I hope you don't mind me checking out your commute route ^_^

OP
OP
Gatley lass

Gatley lass

Über Member
Well, I needed motivation to ride today, last chance before I start my night shifts tonight. Despite the awful weather I braved the frequent hailstone showers that battered my beautiful face and headed over to Gatley to check out these routes. My curiosity had been piqued when researching the routes and I wanted to see the point where I was suggesting crossing the River Bollin just by Style prison and also was keen to see what Rotherwood Road was like.
To be honest, I didn't need too much encouragement, it's a nice part of Greater Manchester to ride in, some lovely properties if you want to see how the other half live!

I headed over to Gatley and thought it would be best to use the direct 1st route I proposed for the outbound ride. I think it is best done this way because you ride down the drop to the Bollin crossing on the narrow road by Styal prison. The bridge over the river is a proper stone bridge with a smooth tarmac surface and this path continues for a couple of 100 yards until the left turn into Carrwood Road. Carrwood road starts off really rough with a bumpy, irregular stone surface so be warned! This soon settles down and the rest of the streets used to get across to Altrincham Road in Wilmslow are very pleasant, quiet and easy going. Once through Wilmslow it is a case of head down and a fairly monotonous grind along the Alderley Edge bypass. This seems to go on forever and is no fun with a head wind...... :sweat:
The cycle path runs on both sides of the bypass so you can take your pick, but I wouldn't recommend trying to swap sides once you have started because it is basically a motorway.

After a short break at the southern end of the bypass I started back on route 2 which comes off the bypass part way along. Once off Knutsford road it is really a very pleasant route through Morley Green and across to the Honey Bee pub near the airport. The Rotherwood road is completely closed to traffic, just a bridleway by the looks of it. The surface is covered with a very thin layer of mud and directly under this is a hard stony surface. There is a definite defined used line along here and even on almost slick tyres it was no problem, despite last nights downpours and the hail/sleet today. I suggest mudguards are a good idea though :smile:

The short stretch of the A538 from the Honey Bee down to the roundabout at the bottom of the runway tunnels seemed to have a cycle path along its length so that should be fine and the road around the airport perimeter fence is easy if you avoid the big puddles that probably never dry out.

Both routes seem to work well and using one out and the other back avoids the worst stretch of styal road at that awkward corner/climb. I enjoyed the ride and exploring some new routes and the ride ended with the mother of all hail storms just in the last half mile before I got home which whited out the roads!

Good luck with your commute @Gatley lass , I hope you don't mind me checking out your commute route ^_^

Pete Owens

Once through Wilmslow it is a case of head down and a fairly monotonous grind along the Alderley Edge bypass. This seems to go on forever and is no fun with a head wind...... :sweat:
I wouldn't bother with the bypass - Alderley Edge is a pleasant village to ride through and it is more direct. About a mile shorter if you are heading for the northern part of Alderley Park.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I wouldn't bother with the bypass - Alderley Edge is a pleasant village to ride through and it is more direct. About a mile shorter if you are heading for the northern part of Alderley Park.
IME, the traffic in the village is a bit frantic, with everyone and their dog trying to park or turn into side streets, and there is a lot of parking which can be an issue. Also, it is a hefty hill to get over Nether Alderley, maybe a bit easier to stick to the relatively flat and clutter free by-pass?

Last edited:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
There are some virtually traffic free options through Warford upto Alderley Park. Getting onto the bypass at rush hour going South is pretty unpleasant, going back is a lot easier. Traffic can be pretty heavy coming into Alderley village at rush hour due to the lights at the girls school. I ride to Macc from Wilmslow for my commute, so know all of the routes very well. If quietness over distance is a priority, I can plot a route that had some very light off road sections (fine for a road bike) and uses lots of quiet country lanes but will add two or three miles if that would help.

potsy

Rambler
I braved the frequent hailstone showers that battered my beautiful face
You have a face that looks like it's been well battered :crazy:

Origamist

Legendary Member

Stirling work. I've not got much to add. Just a few snippets from me in light of the above:

• If you're going to be going through AE (I can't bring myself to call it 'The Edge') in the rush hour(s), I'd use the bypass.
  • There is a shared path that runs from the Honey Bee to the orbital cycle route. It is not gritted and often has tree debris on it during the autumn and winter. If you use it, take care as it's fairly steep by Cheshire standards.
  • Rotherwood Road only has the odd pedestrian/cyclist on it, but can get very muddy. I'd prefer wider tyres 28mm +
  • Carwood Road is not going to be fun if you have a racing bike with narrow tyres. If you have a hybrid/tourer/gravel bike and can get 35mm+ tyres on you'll be OK
  • I avoid Styal Rd at the Wilmslow end as the impatience of the drivers heading up the hill makes for dangerous overtakes.The alternative routes above are a sensible compromise.
  • You can experiment with different back roads from AE to Wilmslow. I'd try to keep off Knutsford Rd as much as possible, unless you're comfortable with fast moving traffic whizzing past.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
That dip on Styal Road over the Bollin is horrible, narrow, very busy and dark through the trees, I'd avoid in either direction.... Maybe use Station Rd / Stanneylands to avoid then hang a right down Lacey Green? Doesn't look much of a diversion.
Stanneylands is a bit hairy in places with many drivers using it as a rat run and driving those daft SUV’s !

Top Bottom