Safest route from Lewisham to Camberwell Arts College

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyclenewbie_07

Hi there,
My son is going to move into dorm in Lewisham near the ASDA and plans to cycle from there to Camberwell Arts School on Peckham Road.
We started to look at various routes but the roads looks quite big and scary for someone from the country and not being used to riding in London.
Can anyone give any advice on which would be the best route or where to go to find one?
Many thanks in advance...

vickster

Legendary Member

Last edited:

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
I do not know the area but second the idea of having at least one trial run. I would be inclined to keep to the main roads and wear lots of high visability clothing and lights front and rear at all times. In my experience more high vis and lights results in other road users giving me more space.

I'd take a look at cyclestreets.

https://www.cyclestreets.net/journey/76151698/

which offers 3 routes of varying busyness - he can mix and match bits of that as he gets more confident.

as @ianrauk says the main roads aren't too bad at all on that patch due to bus lanes etc.

In fact to encourage your son, in my opinion london roads often to me feel safer than many in the countryside - drivers generally not too bad, traffic is somewhat restricted in what it can do, more so with some post covid measures, bus drivers generally excellent.

I would in his wider adventures treat bits of the south circular with respect though/wait until more experienced because of the heavy lorries and trucks which use it.

Might be worthwhile him getting in touch with Southwark Cyclists, part of the London Cycling Campaign.

They do regular "healthy rides" - he will find the age profile of those somewhat high for him no doubt but those rides will get him used to cycling some of London's roads.

Pre plague they held very regular, free and excellent doctor bikes outside Peckham library just down from the college.

Trust he will enjoy London - it's a great cycling city these days.

Better than a few northern towns/cities I could mention.

Last edited:
The safest route would probably be in an armoured car.
In your day possibly Mr Pale Rider (long ago i used to work with a magazine page designer who when I was being too pushy on clearing pages used to threaten me with an introduction to his Peckham mates) but Peckham is hipster central these days. All pretty safe, including on the roads, as long as you have your wits about you.

I would take care as a cyclist/pedestrian on the bend between the library and the Burger King - been a couple of fatalities there I think.

<Oh - there was the machine gun incident outside a pub very close to the arts college which I used to frighten foreign visitors with but that's getting on for 20 years ago>

Chief Broom

Veteran
I used to live in Lewisham and have an abiding memory of how greasy/slippery the roundabouts were when negotiating them on a motorbike. I guess its par for the course on a city route but i wouldnt lean over as far as out of town.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Lewisham Way/Queen's Road/Peckham Road for me. It's all main road, but it's wide, it has bus lanes, and it's no worse than most other London commutes.

You can take the same route using back roads, but I wouldn't bother personally.

Top Bottom