Sailing anyone...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smeggers

Fantastic. I learnt to sail going round the IoW on a 29'er. Done a fair few thousand miles since.

You will get seasick, just dont let it stop you, its only your brain telling your body you've been poisoned thats all!!! :tongue:

Dont really think of it as a sport, more an excuse for a piss-up. :tongue::smile:

g'luck and enjoy.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
All being well, my girlfriend and I will be helping the Mother-In-Law take the family yacht out. Apparently the marina where they keep "Little Eila" is giving incentives to take the boat out for the weekend, thus freeing up berths for Round-The-Islanders, so we're hoping to head out for a night or two somewhere across the Solent. Following my Range Rover-related mishap earlier this month, I'll be put in charge of keeping the stern well-stocked with G&Ts.:tongue:
Hope you enjoy it Andy, give us a wave if you spot us!

asterix

Comrade Member
Yes, but haven't done any for a while. One day I will have time..

As for mal de mare, it you are worried, try seasickness pills. They do work but you usually have to remember to take 'em a while in advance.

The last Round the Island race I did was in 1995 or 96 on a Sigma 33. Just before the start, we broached and tipped the un pumped-out (thanks to an inexperienced crewmember) contents of the head onto the floor. Nice.

From the Needles to St Catherine's point was one long, breezy reach. Lovely until we had to gybe at the end. We blew out the spinnaker, lost the pole over the side and then broke the gooseneck. An expensive corner, that.

As we headed back up to Bembridge, we dropped one of the genoa sheets over the side. Didn't realise 'til later that it had wrapped itself around the prop.

At Bembridge we cut the corner a bit and ran aground (nothing serious, but it probably left a mark on the keel).

Then on the rather messy beat back up to Cowes (not helped by the broken boom and loss of one genoa sheet) we dropped the bowman over the side. We did manage to pick him up again though.

Perhaps not the most successful race, and certainly not the cheapest, but bloody good fun nonetheless. And one of the few moments I was truly glad it wasn't my boat.

f

Smeggers said:
Fantastic. I learnt to sail going round the IoW on a 29'er. Done a fair few thousand miles since.

You will get seasick, just dont let it stop you, its only your brain telling your body you've been poisoned thats all!!! :tongue:

Dont really think of it as a sport, more an excuse for a piss-up. :tongue::smile:

g'luck and enjoy.

A 29'er......

jason29rs.JPG

Plax

Guru
I'd love to go sailing, but I think I might suffer sea sickness. I've been ok on "boat trips" when we've gone on holiday, but the last time I was on one of those fast ferries for over 24 hrs (joint training exercise with this voluntary thing I do) I was ill the whole time. Puked up the sea sickness tablets, the works. No amount of "look at the horizon" advice worked either. I've not been on a boat since.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
All together now... (arms aloft, sway side to side, lighters optional)
"We are sailing
We are saaaaiiilllliiiiinnnnggg
Home again,
Cross the sea...."
:smile:

OP
OP
andyoxon

andyoxon

Guru
cheers :smile: We're going out on Sat & Sun - o/n in the marina. I'm going to have to see avoiding this sickness thing as a bit of a challenge, I guess it depends on the weather to some extent...xx( Apparently Stugeron are the thing - but I'll pack some crystallised ginger just in case :smile:

Smeggers said:

You will get seasick, just dont let it stop you, its only your brain telling your body you've been poisoned thats all!!! :smile:

Dont really think of it as a sport, more an excuse for a piss-up. xx(:smile:

g'luck and enjoy.

another 29er
29er.jpg

BTW why does the 29er (bike) have 2 top tubes?

Attachments

• 29er.jpg
    29er.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 12

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Did some canoe sailing if that counts. That was good fun. Never went really far, but could get some good speed up, and when we put two canoes together with a big sail you could really power along.
Bit dangerouse sometimes though, couldnt see where you were going and it scared the kayakers alot because they didnt know if we knew where they were.:wacko:
Wouldnt mind sailing on a big yact though. Sea sickness doesnt bother me so it would be even better to go out when its really rough and windy.

Top Bottom