Saimaan lake route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yuriy

Hi guys. I and my friend decided to test the route “lake Saimaa” which is published on the site VisitFinland. On our way there will be 3 parts where we will have to cross the lake (http://cs319519.vk.me/v319519400/6dcc/ffI-1z8OE0I.jpg). I know that from point “A” to point “B” I can get with help of a man who lives there and provides such service. But what about other 4 points. I read on the Internet, that from point “C” to point “D” I can get with help of rope ferry which is free of charge. Does it work? But I don’t have any information about how I can get from point “E” to point “F”. Is there anything? Does anybody know contact information of a person who can provide boat transfer? The next obstacle is accommodation. On the map in the official site of camping in Finland there are no Marks of campings close to points A-F. Is it true? Does any camping exist close to that territory. I read something about Rastiniemi camping site. Does it work? Also, I would appreciate all other comments connected with a route.

ave you looked at the outdoor GT maps of finland (which show the cycle routes (there may be a walking series as well with even more information)) for the wild campsites & ordinary campsites (they are orange). The standard GT road maps (blue cover) don't mark the wild spots (such as Kirkorranta in the Kolovesi National Park which we stayed at, slightly north of where you are going but on the same lake (and yes we were lucky enough to see the saimaa freshwater seal)) but the orange cycling ones do. What I can tell you is that looking at the same area on the orange map that marks wild camping/tent sites/lean to's/shelters/campfire sites etc as well as campsites (different to tent sites) is that the only one in the area is roughly where B is and that is a campfire site which means there should be a fireplace to light a fire and most likely somewhere to camp. From this series of maps http://www.stanfords.co.uk/Countrie...takeskus-200K400K-Outdoor-Maps_SI00000855.htm

Otherwise my experience has been that if there is a road on one side of the lake and it is shown to continue on the other side there is some form of ferry that will be there, which seems to be your C-D (it is shown on the map as a dotted line which to me suggests there is a ferry but I would contact one of the major tourist information offices in the area (at Mikkeli or more likely Lapeenranta) to be 100% sure), however all of the ones we turned up at that were shown as dotted lines, did have ferries - but we were on bikes.

Top Bottom