Salerno Landings - 1943

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
That was interesting but I had to turn the sound off and read the subtitles instead.
Not for the strong language but that lethargic, droning voice of the narrator is awful!

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
That was interesting but I had to turn the sound off and read the subtitles instead.
Not for the strong language but that lethargic, droning voice of the narrator is awful!

I understand from the people involved (who of a far more ‘arty’ persuasion than me) that the tone of voice was intended, as a contrast to the words being spoken.

In the interests of marital harmony I shall withhold my own opinion and not show MrsR this thread!^_^

Edit - having listened to / watched it again I think the narrator’s voice works, for the reasons above. But I do respect others opinions.

Last edited:

ianbarton

Veteran
A friend's Father took part in this operation in WW2 and wrote up his memories of it in the '90's. MrsR has been involved in this reading of it.
Thanks. Not watched it yet. My father was in Italy during the war, but I don't know if he was at Salerno. Interestingly although he was in the Western Desert and Italy (Royal Artillery) his only injuries were a broken finger, sustained during training when somebody shut the bolt on a Ben gun when his finger was in the breech and a shrapnel injury in his leg when strolling along the beach at Dover shortly before D Day. Apparently, the Germans had a few guns that could fire shells over the channel.

Slick

Guru
I thought it was amazing.

A special breed of men never to be forgotten.

I thought the comment "No atheists go into battle" was particularly pertinent when there seems to be so many around now. To be fair, it is one of the freedoms we enjoy that your freinds father fought for.

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
Thanks for posting. I found it very difficult to watch.

Yes, me too. I heard parts of it before the final version was produced, so I knew what to expect. It’s taken me a couple of weeks to find the right time and place to watch / listen to it properly.

velohomme

Couldn't agree more about a special breed of men. They went through all that and then went back to normal life with a demob suit. My father never fought in Italy but was at Kohima. For all those who have never heard of Kohima it was decided by military historians as Britains most important battle.
No PTSD in those days. It wasn't until 2004 when he was 96 he told me about it in tears. I was as well.

ozboz

Guru
3BD8CF14-4737-43B2-8DD8-1B15DCFD84BF.png
Here is a recall of the British Divisions of the 10th Corps that went to Salerno

ianbarton

Veteran
Here is a recall of the British Divisions of the 10th Corps that went to Salerno

Interesting. I keep meaning to try and find the Royal Artillery war diaries relating to my father's service. I have his army number, but not details of his unit. He never really talked about his time in the war. I know his call up was delayed as he was finishing his qualifications to become a solicitor, but think he joined in 1940. Unfortunately, his qualification meant he wasn't discharged until 1947 because he had to defend an officer in a court-martial in Alexandria.

Top Bottom