Same bike, different format

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pottsy

I bought a Kona Explosif new back in 1998. It started life then as the XC mountain bike that it was intended to be with a great Reynolds 853 frame at it's heart.

Since then it has been through many phases, just a few of which are:

Touring bike - rack, mudguards, slick tyres - travelled around Europe and as far away as a trip across Cuba.

Singlespeed MTB - back to a stripped down single-speed MTB with rigid forks.

Hack bike (current guise) - single-speed and rigid, mud guards, Marathon Plus tyres - a bomb proof pub/shopping/gym trip hack bike.

I can't find a single component on it that it started out with, except of course that 853 frame.

I can't bring myself to get rid of it, despite an acute lack of space. I feel almost attached to it. I still enjoy changing the format of what it is whilst retaining a bit of it's original and essential character.

Anyone else have a similar story of a very adaptable bike they've had for years?

djb1971

Legendary Member
I've got a Kona smoke that has been used and abused. It's been through a few incarnations. It's recently had a complete strip down and been rebuilt with parts that cost 5 times more than I paid for it when new!!

It's steel, weighs a ton but lugs me and my kit around with ease when touring. It actually looks brand new again now. After I stripped the frame I mopped and polished it, touched in the scratches and fitted lovely new SLX parts ( cheaper than XT ). I can't sell it, I love riding rigid forks with 26" tyres fully loaded on a dirt track!!

It has the knickname 'Ugly' in our house lol!!

This thread is useless w'out pictures.

I used to have an Explosive '96 or '97, Gold metal flake Columbus with Bombers and XTR. Lovely. Gave it to my brother in a moment of idiocy and he never ever rode it.

Top Bottom