Same Ratio, Different Chainring/Sprocket Sizes Q

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bicycle

I took a massively unscientific approach to this question.

I happened to have a 50-tooth chainring with little wear and decided to use it for the fixie. So I skimmed the views of fixed-riding people in similar terrain and settled on gearing of 68-70". The chainring I already owned meant buying a 19-tooth sprocket to achieve that. Hey Presto!

I get the impression that many fixies are built up from odds and ends at minimal cost, so this may be how most chainring/sprocket sizes are chosen. I quite like the fact that my fixie works despite being slightly absurd. Too much thought and planning would somehow diminish the purity.

As to the other matter: I read a lot about skid patches and it simply wasn't me. A rear brake represents little weight penalty and on the hills where I ride I'd be mad (at my skill level) to rely on my legs to slow the rear wheel from speed.

I think the skidology fascination may be an urban thing. As soon as I was old enough to buy my own bicycle tyres, skidding the rear wheel lost its allure.

Zoiders

Being able to skid stop seems cool at first

Then you twig that it's not just wearing the tyre but physically tearing the weave of the tyre apart.

These days it gets reserved for real emrgencies when the front brake is over matched, I still leg break though which is different to a skid stop.

D

Deleted member 1258

I A rear brake represents little weight penalty and on the hills where I ride I'd be mad (at my skill level) to rely on my legs to slow the rear wheel from speed.

I think the skidology fascination may be an urban thing. As soon as I was old enough to buy my own bicycle tyres, skidding the rear wheel lost its allure.

I've always had a rear brake on my fixed wheel bikes. I'm an all weather rider and wouldn't want to be mostly relying on a front brake when the road gets slippery, I also wouldn't want to find myself hitting high rpm on an icy descent whilst trying to control my speed with a front brake and legs, with a back brake and legs I can keep progress to safe levels. I am crap at leg braking and always have been, it seems that as speed goes up leg braking gets more difficult and less effective anyway.

tyred

Legendary Member
I've always had a rear brake on my fixed wheel bikes. I'm an all weather rider and wouldn't want to be mostly relying on a front brake when the road gets slippery, I also wouldn't want to find myself hitting high rpm on an icy descent whilst trying to control my speed with a front brake and legs, with a back brake and legs I can keep progress to safe levels. I am crap at leg braking and always have been, it seems that as speed goes up leg braking gets more difficult and less effective anyway.

That's my view too. I have brakes all round on both my fixed gear bikes and wouldn't have it any other way. I do notice though that leg braking became easier when I dropped the gear ratio from 70" to 65" but I still wouldn't like to try and stop this way on a steep hill. That's why some bright spark invented the brake caliper.

Top Bottom