Sand riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vikingcyclist

Following a successful two-day, 100 mile trek from Belgium to Holland and back (asides from one rather savage crash) I'm now setting myself a different target. De Panne have an annual endurance event, which is a 35km course up and down the (sandy) beach.

I've got a mountain bike which I'll be using for this, and don't necessarily expect it to survive the sand damage, but wondered whether people have any suggestions other than getting larger wheels to hopefully support me over the softer sand?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Big smooth tyres are usually used in the desert, the reasoning being that they spread the weight and there are no treads to break up what might be a supportive crust.

RedBike

It might be worth giving single speed a go?

A lighter bike might not sink in as far / your gears probably wont be too happy with you after 35km of being covered in sand anyway.

OP
OP
vikingcyclist

vikingcyclist

It might be worth giving single speed a go?

A lighter bike might not sink in as far / your gears probably wont be too happy with you after 35km of being covered in sand anyway.

It does sound like a good idea, but sadly I can't afford to get a lighter bike for this.

Admittedly I also can't really afford for the bike I'm planning to use to be utterly destroyed, but I have a road bike as well which is my main ride.

The flat, large tyres sounds like a good plan to minimise sinking. I'll have a word with my anything-but-LBS and see what they suggest.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Have a look at Specialized Crossroads EX tyres, they're fat and have a minimal tread.

The bike won't suffer if you give it a really good wash down afterwards with hot water and car shampoo.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
And hose the chain and relube......

Did about 10km on sand dunes recently, loads of fun, - my mtb handled it well pulling a tag along. The wife's hybrid not so well. Cleaning 4 drive chains wasn't much fun though.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It will help if the chain is not over-lubricated to start with, I would clean it before the ride and apply just a little Finish Line. Lots of oil will attract sand.

Top Bottom