Sanding tool options?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
The extraction is important, even if it's just a regular Hoover, improves the quality of the finish as well. I use 3m cubitron discs as I have a friend who's a cabinet maker and recommended them. Not too expensive once you factor in how much longer they last.

But the new Bosch one I referred to does extract the dust and still clogs in no time.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
But the new Bosch one I referred to does extract the dust and still clogs in no time.

that's not surprising if you were using a sander to remove numerous layers of paint :wacko:

Profpointy

Legendary Member

Couple of suggestions as it does seem you're using it wrong in some way, as power sanders are a huge timesaver if doing more than a tiny bit of sanding of anything bigger than a doll's house

1: if sanding paint or varnish, too high a speed and / or too much pressure can melt the paint which gums up the sandpaper very quickly

2 Using the right type of sandpaper for the job. Don't try and sand paint with abrasive for sanding wood, as it clogs up and works badly. Likewise abrasives for paintwork are less effective for woodwork. Proper manufacturers have half a dozen flavours of abrasive for different needs, plus multiple grits for each.
Same with angle grinder discs - metal cutting discs are hopeless on stone and vice versa

3 dust extraction helps, ideally a hoover that plugs into the tool. The built in dust bag versions are only marginally helpful. A power outlet on the hoover that the sander plugs into is ideal as the hoover fires up when you turn the sander on but it isn't essential

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
One of the best 'tools' I ever bought, makes power sanding abrasive (sheet/disc/triangle) last for absolute ages, hell the thing even unclogs ordinary manual sanding pads/paper.

PS Oh so satisfying seeing the clog disappear as shows in that photo!

I've never tried those, but I think I'll be getting some shortly as I've a whole floor to sand. I shall be using a Festool Rotex (because that's what I have) in "fierce" mode rather than a belt sander never mind a proper floor sander. Results on the first 1m2 of the cupboard bit were good and not that slow, so another 20m2 to go

Last edited:

presta

Guru
that's not surprising if you were using a sander to remove numerous layers of paint :wacko:
I never do, I use a paint stripper for removing paint, and sanding for rubbing down before putting new paint on (either with or without having stripped the old).

too high a speed
I've not noticed multispeed sanders mine are both single speed.

Coarser abrasives help prevent clogging, which is fine if you're hand sanding, but they just make an electric sander even more aggressive.

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've used a 1/3 sheet Bosch orbital sander for years. For getting into corners and tighter spaces, my Bosch delta sander has been extremely handy.

BTW, beware! There are plenty of sanders that are pretty useless especially those with multiple accessories.

Attachments

• bosch-delta-sander-gda-280-e-triangular-sander-2470601294703.jpg
    bosch-delta-sander-gda-280-e-triangular-sander-2470601294703.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 3

presta

Guru
Apologies, got confused by this post...

I'm not suggesting that paint really does work harden, it's just that it seems to rapidly become resistant to the sander so it skates around doing very little.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I'm not suggesting that paint really does work harden, it's just that it seems to rapidly become resistant to the sander so it skates around doing very little.

which is why a sanding machine isn't ideal for removing paint. They're best for turning a large rough wooden surface into smooth one.

Top Bottom