Sanding tool options?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We have a circular orbital sander for larger, flat areas but occasionally we have things to sand that aren't flat or have holes, notches or similar tighter sections. I first thought something like B&D mouse with that finger sander piece when needed. However I see you can get some big and small sanding tools on a rotary multi tool like a dremel.

Does anyone know which is most useful for anything other than larger, flat areas for sanding?

si_c

Guru
Probably need something like a multisander. The B&D mouse is pretty terrible, OK I guess for small areas, I have a random orbital sander as well as a half decent multisander - I got a Bosch PSM-200 AES, it was cheap on ebay, but works well enough. I also have a multitool which has a sander attachment, good for very small areas like the corner of a window ledge, but it's not good for larger areas.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
F68AD1EF-2E42-482B-9B77-CF78E4400E75.jpeg

Fein multimaster: I have one of these which may or may not be quite what you're after, but is a fantastically useful tool, both as a sander, and as a precision saw for trimming and and such. Fein invented this design, but other makes now exist, but it's worth noting that Fein is a top notch brand. They also do their bigger model : Supercut, but I've never found the standard model lacking.l so didn't pay the extra (And I'm a tool snob). As well as delta/triangle sanding pads you can get tiny finger pads and a (to be fair not great) profile sander thingy.
Worth mentioning that in sanding mode it runs much much faster than a standard palm or delta sander, but with a tiny orbit

I've not owned a dremel, (nor a proxxon perhaps a higher end equivalent), but have heard mixed opinions. Foredom is another model with a separate motor and flex drive shaft which is the standard professional item for jewellers and the like but never used that either

https://www.axminstertools.com/fein-mm500-plus-top-multimaster-230v-10781

Anyhow, the Fein above is one of my most used and useful power tools and one I would bot want to be without. There are also battery versions, but I've always gone for mains for sanders as you are likely to use them for an extended time

Last edited:

presta

Guru
I've tried electric sanders, and I wouldn't give them houseroom. They're too aggressive, rounding off corners and spoiling the workpiece, and the sandpaper gets clogged within minutes of putting a new one on making them next to useless. These give quicker, easier and better results:

foam-sanding-blocks-angled-sides.jpg

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I've tried electric sanders, and I wouldn't give them houseroom. They're too aggressive, rounding off corners and spoiling the workpiece, and the sandpaper gets clogged within minutes of putting a new one on making them next to useless. These give quicker, easier and better results:

View attachment 718815

clogged then cleaned to nearly new in seconds with one of these...

1705247292533.jpeg

presta

Guru
clogged then cleaned to nearly new in seconds with one of these...

View attachment 718829

They're still too aggressive and indiscriminate though, tearing the hell out of one bit whilst you're struggling to get at another, and the size and weight of them masks your feel of the work & workpiece. I bought one of the little palm ones that's shaped like an iron because I thought it might be better, but it isn't.

MontyVeda

What is that, looks like a sponge but I'm sure it's not?

it's a sandpaper cleaning block; like a big rubbery eraser. Ideal for power tools but a bit of elbow grease required using it on a sheet. Mine was about £6.

MontyVeda

They're still too aggressive and indiscriminate though, tearing the hell out of one bit whilst you're struggling to get at another, and the size and weight of them masks your feel of the work & workpiece. I bought one of the little palm ones that's shaped like an iron because I thought it might be better, but it isn't.

just a case of using the right tool for the job. I much prefer hand sanding because it sounds better and for small jobs its the best option... but it can take longer. For big jobs I'll use some power because I've only got 44 years to live :smile:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Another one here with a De Walt multi tool. As well as the standard triangle shape, my pack also came with a finger sander.
I also have a B&D power file. The different belts available can make it great for for shifting specific areas of wood or metal.

si_c

Guru

View attachment 718815

In some circumstances sure, but if you're sanding a flat surface they are very effective and if you're rounding off corners then you're probably applying too much pressure. Most sanders are also designed to work with a vacuum to suck dust out - the flat 1/4 sheet sanders with no holes for extraction are uniformly pretty terrible.

A good random orbital sander with extraction and decent quality paper works really really well.

Profpointy

Legendary Member

View attachment 718815

I'd not want to sand a whole tabletop to remove varnish, never sand a floor by hand

presta

Guru
just a case of using the right tool for the job. I much prefer hand sanding because it sounds better and for small jobs its the best option... but it can take longer. For big jobs I'll use some power because I've only got 44 years to live :smile:
It's the large areas like doors that are the worst, the sander just skates around getting nowhere whilst I lose the will to live. It's as if the sandpaper's work hardening the paint.

A good random orbital sander with extraction and decent quality paper works really really well.
It was that assumption that made me buy the new Bosch one, but it clogs in seconds just like the old Black & Decker.

I'd not want to sand a whole tabletop to remove varnish, never sand a floor by hand

I've never done a table or floor, but if I'm stripping paint I use a hot air gun.

si_c

Guru
It was that assumption that made me buy the new Bosch one, but it clogs in seconds just like the old Black & Decker.
The extraction is important, even if it's just a regular Hoover, improves the quality of the finish as well. I use 3m cubitron discs as I have a friend who's a cabinet maker and recommended them. Not too expensive once you factor in how much longer they last.

Top Bottom