Security options

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

richardfm

Veteran
If you search the forum you will find many different answers.

OP
OP
ghawks100

ghawks100

It’s the same with any deterrent on any item, car bike house..
if they want it, they will get it,.
At least I want to make it a bit of a struggle for the toe rags😁
the air tag will show me where it’s at ,to direct the rozzers to its whereabouts.
probaly quicker for me to go after it.
🤞crossed it never happens

IMG_0424.jpeg

Kingfisher101

Über Member
It’s the same with any deterrent on any item, car bike house..
if they want it, they will get it,.
At least I want to make it a bit of a struggle for the toe rags😁
the air tag will show me where it’s at ,to direct the rozzers to its whereabouts.
probaly quicker for me to go after it.
🤞crossed it never happens

View attachment 719099

Thats not enough really, you'd have it pinched within a short space of time here with just that lock. Yes if they want it they will get it but I would'nt just hand it over.

OP
OP
ghawks100

ghawks100

@£7000+ my Etandem doesn’t get locked an left at any old lamp post.
It would be kept locked up an in sight at all time when we stop for food etc. At home it’s well locked away behind big gates/ shed and a rather large dog.
Batteries removed locked up air tag an in sight is probably the best I can do whilst out ridding an stopping for breaks

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You should be able to manage to carry a bit more weight on an e-tandem, so I would suggest something more secure. This is what I use for shopping trips - for a bike I put together for less than £200!

OnGuard Brute u-lock.jpg

It would still only last about a minute when attacked by an angle grinder, but that is about 59 seconds longer than your cable lock! :okay:

Person

I use a 1.5 meter motorbike chain with two padlocks and a long shackle padlock on the rear wheel spokes and frame. It's worth me mentioning that I live in the countryside which isn't anything like a large city for bike theft.

Dadam

At home in garage: Pragmasis ground anchor with 22mm shackle, bolts epoxy bonded into concrete and covered by hardened steel blanking plates, Pragmasis 13mm 2m chain (multiple bikes)
IMG_1007 - Copy.JPEG

IMG_1006 - Copy.JPEG

At work, Sheffield stand with Kryptonite 12mm x 1.3m chain lock. The stand is right outside our main door, overlooked by other offices and not visible from road or footpath.

Out and about, either Abus Granit 540 (sold secure gold) or Foldylock Compact (sold secure silver). The latter generally just for popping into shops.
e-road bike also has factory tracker as part of the motor controller system

All bikes are insured

Top left: Foldylock Compact
Bottom left: Abus 410 D lock (not used much)
Middle: Pragmasis Protector 13mm chain and DIB D-lock
Right: Kryptonite "New York Noose" 12mm chain and disc lock
IMG_1005 - Copy.JPEG

I have a cable lock but have relegated it to cafe stops when I'm in view of bike at all times.

Gwylan

Veteran
Wall mounted secured eye bolt in the locked garage. Sold secure Gold padlock and 10mm chain.
The insurance company insist on page 48 of the insurance policy.

Out and about an On Guard U Bolt Sold Secure Diamond rated. With a wire for the front wheel.
There's two trackers, concealed. The one installed by the makers can "kill" the bike. Then you need access to the operating system to restore it.
Then mine, just texts me, on request, the location on Google.

Then I take the heavy chain with Sold Secure gold padlock from home for other events away. Like cycle travelling.

Pain is that both the locks weigh around 2kg. You spend a lot or struggle to lose 2kg of weight from you and or your bike.

froze

Über Member
Today there are a lot of good locks to choose from.

I have 2 locks, when I go bike camping or touring, I carry a fairly lightweight cable, can't recall the thickness of it, I've had it for 40 years, but it was the thickest bike cable at the time, and a Master Lock Magnum M175XDLF combination lock (so I can't lose the key and be screwed).

Now when I go RV camping, or if I'm going to be gone from home for a while, I'll lock two bikes together in the garage to make it difficult to carry two bikes together, so I use a better chain lock called Abus 8KS chain with the same Masterlock combination lock.

There are better locks than what I got, a YouTube video tried to cut that chain, and another video tried to cut that lock, and they were worn out trying to get big bolt cutters to break them, so I guess since the guys on the video couldn't break them they must be half way decent lock and chain.

Top Bottom