How to carry security chain on bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JackPack

Regular
Hi, what's the best way to carry a security chain on a bike?

I'm using a D lock as my main security on the back wheel but thinking of getting a chain for the front. It'll weigh 2.3kg.

I thought of wrapping it around the seatpost or maybe carry it in a saddle bag? Would it scratch the frame or be too heavy for the bag?

How about a Foldylock?

OP
OP
J

JackPack

Regular
Folding locks generally aren't as secure and there won't be any room on the frame for the Abus Bordo bracket as the D lock takes up all the space.

The chain already comes in a sleeve but I'll use an inner tube too

OP
OP
J

JackPack

Regular
depends too if you are leaving the bike in the same place ? for work everyone leaves the locks in the bike shed
True, might depend how secure the shed is. But I prefer to carry on the bike as I use it for shopping, etc as well

Last edited:

CharleyFarley

Hi, what's the best way to carry a security chain on a bike?

I'm using a D lock as my main security on the back wheel but thinking of getting a chain for the front. It'll weigh 2.3kg.

I thought of wrapping it around the seatpost or maybe carry it in a saddle bag? Would it scratch the frame or be too heavy for the bag?

I use a plastic-coated cable wrapped around the saddle tube, and a 'D' lock also around the tube and engaged with the rear carrier. Ridden a lot of miles like that and no scratching.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
I have the chain inside an inner tube and then wrapped around my waist. My daughter made me a material sock to go over this to avoid the black rubber marking the clothes. I use a shoelace to tighten the chain to the right amount.

The advantage of the shoelace method is that if you gain or lose weight, or have different thickness of clothes it allows you to adjust the circumference.

I find that I do not notice the extra weight at all.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I have the chain inside an inner tube and then wrapped around my waist. My daughter made me a material sock to go over this to avoid the black rubber marking the clothes. I use a shoelace to tighten the chain to the right amount.

The advantage of the shoelace method is that if you gain or lose weight, or have different thickness of clothes it allows you to adjust the circumference.

I find that I do not notice the extra weight at all.

If the chain is long enough, hang it over your shoulder and head, a bit like a satchel. Easy to get off quickly when needed.

Top Bottom