Cycle security - outside storage at home

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
Hopefully things have improved but last year they were quoting 9 months for delivery:ohmy:
Good Lord! My new place certainly can't keep the bikes in the kitchen anymore, they may end up in the lounge for a while😉
15% discount if you are a blue light card holder :okay:
My bikes are kept in the garage & until recently secured with ground/wall anchors. Despite having a pretty secure roller door, the roof was a weak point, so now have an Asgard shed in the garage for 4 bikes. It's a quality bit of kit for bike storage 👍 I paid full price the end of last year, but now have a blue light card :blush:
I'm not but I did see that on their site and think it's a good turn of them to do that.

Someone offline did float the same idea to me, put the Asgard inside the garage, I'm still erring towards a larger Asgard and a garage but money is not bottomless!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
put the Asgard inside the garage
This is what I have done

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Someone offline did float the same idea to me, put the Asgard inside the garage, I'm still erring towards a larger Asgard and a garage but money is not bottomless!
I already had the garage :laugh: I couldn't afford both either, but I do sleep better on a night time now :smile:
TBH It was a little bit of forward planning too, we are hoping to move this year & don't know what the situation will be if & when we move, with The Asgard I'll be ok even if it's outside 👍

15% discount if you are a blue light card holder :okay:
My bikes are kept in the garage & until recently secured with ground/wall anchors. Despite having a pretty secure roller door, the roof was a weak point, so now have an Asgard shed in the garage for 4 bikes. It's a quality bit of kit for bike storage 👍 I paid full price the end of last year, but now have a blue light card :blush:
what's a blue light card?

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
Joking aside that's potentially the safest place for them. I've debated hanging mine on the dining room wall a few times.
I have a Topeak Two-Up stand ATM As a none intrusive solution (drilling etc) it's been great.
twoup-tuneup.png

MichaelO

Veteran
Hopefully things have improved but last year they were quoting 9 months for delivery:ohmy:
Just searching the site, as I placed an order with them earlier this month. Wanted to see if a 10 week delivery wait was "normal" - clearly it's not as bad as it could have been!

I have been looking into this in my usual obsessive detail as I am looking to build a bike shed. Not an Asgard for me.

I own a flat with an Asgard shed which I supplied and fitted for the tenant. It is fine, but IMO no more secure than a properly secured wooden shed and it doesn't look as good as it did when I installed it a few years ago. There is some rust and it has faded. Condensation is also an issue, but that's probably because she puts the bike away wet.

For my bike storage I'm going to make a wooden shed with slate clad walls, green roof and a steel reinforced door with a container lock. You will need an angle grinder to get in. It will cost about the same as an Asgard, but I think it will be better in every way.

Tom B

Guru
I have been looking into this in my usual obsessive detail as I am looking to build a bike shed. Not an Asgard for me.

I own a flat with an Asgard shed which I supplied and fitted for the tenant. It is fine, but IMO no more secure than a properly secured wooden shed and it doesn't look as good as it did when I installed it a few years ago. There is some rust and it has faded. Condensation is also an issue, but that's probably because she puts the bike away wet.

For my bike storage I'm going to make a wooden shed with slate clad walls, green roof and a steel reinforced door with a container lock. You will need an angle grinder to get in. It will cost about the same as an Asgard, but I think it will be better in every way.

I've never found a timber shed with a sold secure rating.

I bought my Asgard shed 10 years ago, I took notice of them after a recommendation from a friend and really paid attention when I saw two Asgard sheds at a school that had been subject to an attempted break in, the doors had been pryed at and damaged but had not given way. This was in contrast to the "Argos" metal shed nearby and the 2-3 timber sheds which had been thoroughly opened and emptied. I think Asgard supplied replacement doors and AFAIK they're still going strong.

My Green Asgard shed suffered some fading, first noticed a couple of years ago. I spoke to them and they suggested using a mild car polish to buff it and its back to normal.... In contrast tp the at least 5yr painting of a timber shed. I have no rust.

Its dry, its water proof it has power to it. Condensation is an issue in cold weather, but I dont store clothes in it, the bikes see plenty worse than condensation liberally being sprayed with rain, road gunk, salt etc each day. Short of bringing them in the house, they're always going to get cold and attract condensation. I have however ply lined the lower half of my shed to prevent scratching more than anything and have a 10" surface mount fan that hangs over one of the vents to blow air out of the shed in winter. I've never got around to making a proper mount.

A mate of mine has a stand alone brick built garage, I dont think it is any better for condensation.

Essentially my insurance co are happy with the shed and that's what matters to me. Getting them to approve a home built shed would be a pain at the very least.

If it lasts another 15yrs it wont owe me a penny... And ill probably still be able to weigh it in!

Now then asgard..... Where's my beer?

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
My shed is going strong so far, the locks have a little bit of rusting showing as it faces the rain but I spray them with WD40 which seems to keep them moving.

They get bloody hot though! I opened it few times this summer and thought I was about to see a Japanese POW from 'The Bridge Over The River Kwai' in there!

As tips don't bother ordering the ground anchor from them, their fitters don't fit it and if you drill through a hole for yourself it invalidates the warranty. The hooks are also not worth the cost.

CyclingUK does a members discount on them BTW 10% so with joining just for that.

I've never found a timber shed with a sold secure rating.

If like me you don't insure your bikes, I think ratings like Sold Secure are pretty meaningless. The only security you need is enough to not have your bike pinched.

They're a box ticked if you do have insurance of course - that's the reason I supplied one for my tenant. But in the real world breaking in to my shed will be at least as hard as breaking into an Asgard shed. You would need an angle grinder - no exposed fastenings and it's built far stronger than a normal shed (it has to be, it will have a green roof).

As for painting, I suspect my slate cladding will last longer than galvanised mild steel!

Of course, if you like yours that's all good, but as an owner I definitely feel they aren't the magic bullet people think they are.

Mike_P

Guru
My Asgard is now 7 years old. Not aware of any rusting. One potential issue is a scratch on top thanks to the neighbours cat having a quick lesson in not using claws when skidding on a wet metal surface. Temporarily stuck some waterproof rubberised tape (found in Lidl one day and desperately hoping to see them again) which has stuck that firm I cannot shift it so assuming the scratch is well sealed.

One potential issue is a scratch on top thanks to the neighbours cat having a quick lesson in not using claws when skidding on a wet metal surface.

In itself, that isn't a great advert for the durability of the finish used on Asgard sheds. A cat isn't very heavy. And the repair sounds a little ugly, if you don't mind my saying so.

I sound like I'm down on them and I'm not, the point I'm trying to make is they are made to a price like everything else. They're more secure than normal wooden sheds, but they're made to a price too.

You can make a wooden shed which is equally secure, if not more so. It will look nicer and if you get materials choice right it will last longer.

I'll do a build thread when the planning comes through.

Mike_P

Guru
In itself, that isn't a great advert for the durability of the finish used on Asgard sheds. A cat isn't very heavy. And the repair sounds a little ugly, if you don't mind my saying so.

A cat may not be heavy but their claws are sharp. Asgard sell pots of touch up paint which is what I would have used if I had noticed it in a dry spell. The tape was simply a quick fix until dry weather came but was stumped by how well stuck the tape was. I use the tape on the toe end of road bike shoes to give them some protection.

Top Bottom