Cycle security - outside storage at home

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've traditionally kep my bikes indoors but that will no longer be an option soon, I'm looking at the following and wondered if anyone had more ideas for security:

• Kept in metal shed / garage eventually when built.
  • Locks on doors
  • Motion alarm inside
  • Bikes locked to anchor point
  • Camera pointed at building at all times
I've just started down this road so I haven't got products in mind yet, but am looking for ideas I might not have thought of or any products you might recommend.

Budget isn't limitless BTW! But I do want to try and secure them as best I can.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have an Asgard in the garden (the 4 x 29er happily takes 4 medium road bikes), very secure with the locks they provide. I do keep a big Kryptonite chain draped round the bikes now but nothing else. Clearly the garden is fenced and the gate locked

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
I have an Asgard in the garden (the 4 x 29er happily takes 4 medium road bikes), very secure with the locks they provide. I do keep a big Kryptonite chain draped round the bikes now but nothing else. Clearly the garden is fenced and the gate locked
The Asgard Twin looks good thanks. I have 3 bikes now but am getting rid of 1 before this change.

vickster

Legendary Member
The Asgard Twin looks good thanks. I have 3 bikes now but am getting rid of 1 before this change.
Mine has the metal base unlike this one (Asgard installed it for me on a concrete base I had installed)

I have one of these https://www.asgardsss.co.uk/large-metal-bike-shed

this Bike locker/ shelter does not have a built-in metal base. In some circumstances, some moisture ingress could occur depending on the location of the shelter, the ground type underneath the unit and some weather conditions. Should this occur we would recommend moving the shelter to an alternative location. For extra security, or high value items try our approved bike storage.

Completely weatherproof but is a haven for our 8-legged garden dwelling friends ^_^🕷️🕸️

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Asgard Shed's really cant be beat. Yes they are a little expensive but you do get what you pay for.
Their customer service is pretty good too.

If you have 2 bikes then I would humbly advise getting the bigger 3 bike shed. That way you can also store a lot of other bike stiff in the shed if needed.

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
Mine has the metal base unlike this one (Asgard installed it for me on a concrete plinth I had installed)
Yeah I was wondering about the base, need to do some research on that. Bikes might be temporarily inside whilst I get it positioned properly.
Asgard Shed's really cant be beat. Yes they are a little expensive but you do get what you pay for.
Their customer service is pretty good too.

This is at the upper end of the budget - the idea is I use a bike box until the garage is built so don't want to go overboard but at the same time it does need to be secure.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yeah I was wondering about the base, need to do some research on that. Bikes might be temporarily inside whilst I get it positioned properly.

This is at the upper end of the budget - the idea is I use a bike box until the garage is built so don't want to go overboard but at the same time it does need to be secure.
I reckon you could easily sell it on once no longer needed at not too much of a loss especially if buy on special.

The guys who fitted were impressed by my base, but they did say as long as it's decent condition and pretty flat, it would be ok

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
I reckon you could easily sell it on once no longer needed at not too much of a loss especially if buy on special.

The guys who fitted were impressed by my base, but they did say as long as it's decent condition and pretty flat, it would be ok
I think I have a base, there is a greehouse on it ATM but it looks concrete and I'm no gardener so getting rid of that!

Tom B

Guru
Another vote for Asgard.

I went for the large shed centurion type.
Holds 5 bikes, tools, Lawnmower garden tools etc.
My only complaint is I wish It was taller so I could rack the bikes vertically.

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
Another vote for Asgard.

I went for the large shed centurion type.
Holds 5 bikes, tools, Lawnmower garden tools etc.
My only complaint is I wish It was taller so I could rack the bikes vertically.
I have to admit I'm 50/50 having looked at their products that I buy a larger combo/bike shed and put the garage building on a lower priority. Decisions decisions.....

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Another option buy the Asgard for the bikes and move it into the garage when built as traditional garage doors are a joke security wise ,after seeing how easy a locksmith got ours open in a minute after it was locked and jammed shut

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
Another option buy the Asgard for the bikes and move it into the garage when built as traditional garage doors are a joke security wise ,after seeing how easy a locksmith got ours open in a minute after it was locked and jammed shut
Didn't think of that, good idea :okay:

Agree on the doors and I know on the garage I want vertical hinged not an up and over door, but I've only done rough estimates on that so far.

DiggyGun

I've traditionally kep my bikes indoors but that will no longer be an option soon, I'm looking at the following and wondered if anyone had more ideas for security:

• Kept in metal shed / garage eventually when built.
  • Locks on doors
  • Motion alarm inside
  • Bikes locked to anchor point
  • Camera pointed at building at all times
I've just started down this road so I haven't got products in mind yet, but am looking for ideas I might not have thought of or any products you might recommend.

Budget isn't limitless BTW! But I do want to try and secure them as best I can.
In the UK, I think that most insurance companies would like this.

Top Bottom