Shed security options

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rivers

How far can I go?
I had my shed broken into last week and 2 of my bikes were stolen. Insurance should cover one of the bikes. Unfortunately, the other bike was given to my by a friend, and wasn't insured. When I get my new bike, it will have to live in the shed. For various reasons, my wife will not let me keep a third bike in the house (as it is, one of the one's in the house may need to be re-located into the shed). So what are options for securing the bike in the shed? I have already installed a motion sensor alarm. The new tongue and groove slats for the shed have arrived, and are being replaced this weekend, along with wrapping the shed in a wire mesh to make it harder to prize the slats off. A bit of barbed wire along the fence (and a nice barbed wire hammock in the small gap between the shed and fence where the toe rag gained access), and a trip wire alarm mine should make access fairly difficult. Yes, I will be booby trapping the F*ck out of my shed. But I will still want something to secure the bikes in the shed. Ground anchor? Sheffield stand? Other options? The shed floor is wood and sits an inch or 2 above a concrete base. Ideally I will want to be able to secure 2 bikes (mine and my wife's).
Thanks

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I have both of these, the said anchors will have to be in concrete or something solid

Ground anchors
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265159593213?hash=item3dbcbe4cfd:g:mKkAAOSwr~lYpBU8

Alarm to mobile phone
https://www.ultrasecuredirect.com/w...attery-ultrapir-gsm-alarm-007-1150-p1167.html

byegad

Legendary Member
Ground Anchors. Drill through the floor into the concrete to mount.
Gold Standard Locks.
And a measure of luck.
While personally I'd booby trap it with hand grenades landmines and a SFMG, I suspect the local fuzz, gawd bless 'em, may regard it as over kill*.

*Literally.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Heavy duty chain through all the frames with a good lock. The type you can't get through with bolt cutters all attached to a ground anchor. It won't stop them but if it slows them and means they need to make a lot of noise then it will help.

OP
OP
rivers

rivers

How far can I go?
Ground Anchors. Drill through the floor into the concrete to mount.
Gold Standard Locks.
And a measure of luck.
While personally I'd booby trap it with hand grenades landmines and a SFMG, I suspect the local fuzz, gawd bless 'em, may regard it as over kill*.

*Literally.

I was thinking a couple of Claymores should do the trick, with a few home made explosives, but I decided blowing up my shed with the bikes and other various pieces of stuff both my wife and I would like to keep was a bad idea.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
How about an obvious cctv camera as a deterrent and a hidden one should the first one be ignored?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Be careful with barbed wire - you can get in trouble. Certainly ground anchor into the concrete slabs below, with a good chain from it, and maybe another to secure multiple bikes.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If it is a proper concrete base then I would go with a ground anchor and a decent chain - then D-lock the two bikes together. If you make the place look too attractive with too much security then you risk more people trying it on as they think the pickings will be good. I am a big fan of thick marine grease where they might climb and a hidden camera with alerts inside the shed to film them.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
yup ground anchors through floor into concrete drive
1622024884995.png

replace screws to hinges with security screws that cant be undone
my shed has had an extra layer of overlap over the T and G
roof secured to walls with brackets
spikes under shed lip
2 extra locks on the door
security camera facing shed

OP
OP
rivers

rivers

How far can I go?
How about an obvious cctv camera as a deterrent and a hidden one should the first one be ignored?
Shed is at the very back of the garden, about 30m from the house. Wifi doesn't reach that far and no power. Or else there would have already been a camera back there

The main thing you can do if make it as unobvious as possible that there are expensive bikes in the shed.

If they get as far as breaking in specifically looking for bikes then they will probably have suitable tools with them so you are on a looser at that point
OK - if there is an unexpected alarm - and they see something that looks like a camera (whether it is or not) may deter them but once they have decided to break in then there is a problem

Hence - make sure that your bikes cannot be seen from the road when they are in the garden
Also - and this is just via tales on the WWW - make sure you do not map your rides in a way that allows anyone to see that a lot of your rides start and finish at the same place - i.e. your house
plus the stats show that you have an expensive make/model of bike
Strava has a privacy zone that disguises your location which should help
I actually spotted a fly-by on Strava which I noticed seemed to be a person used to work with. On looking at his profile it was clear what bike he was riding, where he lives and where he now works!
That was without any real effort.
Which was a bit scary!
My next door neighbour used to have several expensive mountain bikes. He went riding them a few years ago on some trails and - and usual - mapped his rides via an app.
The next night his garage was broken into and only the bikes were stolen.
Which could be a co-incidence - but then maybe it isn't.

Oh - and as far as securing them is concerned - I like the idea of using 2 or more different types of lock. One of which should be SOld Secure Gold. AT least that makes the b*****s need to use 2 different tools!

And, of course, check you insurance. I have noticed that my bike specific insurance requires Sold Secure Gold, ground anchor and secure outside locks
But my normal house insurance just requires the bike to be locked up and the shed to be locked
bit of a difference!!!

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
rivers

rivers

How far can I go?
The main thing you can do if make it as unobvious as possible that there are expensive bikes in the shed.

If they get as far as breaking in specifically looking for bikes then they will probably have suitable tools with them so you are on a looser at that point
OK - if there is an unexpected alarm - and they see something that looks like a camera (whether it is or not) may deter them but once they have decided to break in then there is a problem

Hence - make sure that your bikes cannot be seen from the road when they are in the garden
Also - and this is just via tales on the WWW - make sure you do not map your rides in a way that allows anyone to see that a lot of your rides start and finish at the same place - i.e. your house
plus the stats show that you have an expensive make/model of bike
Strava has a privacy zone that disguises your location which should help
I actually spotted a fly-by on Strava which I noticed seemed to be a person used to work with. On looking at his profile it was clear what bike he was riding, where he lives and where he now works!
That was without any real effort.
Which was a bit scary!
My next door neighbour used to have several expensive mountain bikes. He went riding them a few years ago on some trails and - and usual - mapped his rides via an app.
The next night his garage was broken into and only the bikes were stolen.
Which could be a co-incidence - but then maybe it isn't.

Oh - and as far as securing them is concerned - I like the idea of using 2 or more different types of lock. One of which should be SOld Secure Gold. AT least that makes the b*****s need to use 2 different tools!

And, of course, check you insurance. I have noticed that my bike specific insurance requires Sold Secure Gold, ground anchor and secure outside locks
But my normal house insurance just requires the bike to be locked up and the shed to be locked
bit of a difference!!!

Strava is private with privacy zones enabled, always has been. When returning home from rides, I never go through the side gate to my house, I always go through my house, same for leaving, so it just looks as though my bikes are stored in the house. Luckily, my bike insurance does not require bikes to be locked while in a shed (and I have it screenshotted for proof). Our shed isn't even visible from the road, we live on a small col-di-sac, but it is in the city. Just some scrotes... The shed has a deadbolt lock on it, but they just removed half of the panels. They really made a mess of it.

battered

Guru
Shed is at the very back of the garden, about 30m from the house. Wifi doesn't reach that far and no power. Or else there would have already been a camera back there
The thieves don't know this, so put up dummy cameras. They cost pennies. Signs too. Don't try to toughen the shed, waste of time. But a ground anchor, yes. Wood floor over cemented in anchor is ideal, stops them smashing the chain against the floor with a sledgehammer, because the soft floor is no use as an anvil and too soft to allow levering.

Top Bottom