Saris Bones Cycle Rack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Danny

Legendary Member
Has anyone used one of these? They seem to come in two versions

1. The basic Seris Bones rack which sells for about £90

2. The Saris Bones RS which is £170, and was well reviewed in the June issue of CP.

I am not sure I can justify spending £170 on a rack so was thinking of getting the basic one, but would like some feedback before ordering.

goosander

Über Member
I used to have the basic three bike version. I think it is overpriced for what it is - if you have a standard car, there are probably better & cheaper choices available.

The only reason I bought one was that it is just about the only strap on rack that works with an MX-5. Whilst it worked OK, I found that it tended to work loose and move around slightly which marked the paintwork, though it didn't ever work loose enough to be in danger of detaching from the car. Another disadvantage is that the straps for attaching the bike to the rack are fixed to the rack, so the positions may not be ideal for some bikes.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
goosander said:
Whilst it worked OK, I found that it tended to work loose and move around slightly which marked the paintwork, though it didn't ever work loose enough to be in danger of detaching from the car.
Whilst I don't own one of these racks, I'd read a few reviews on US sites that said exactly the same thing and it put me off buying one. eehy look good though!

Slim

Über Member
I've had the basic one for a while.

It's not bad but not brilliant either. I like the way it folds down when it's not in use but the trailing straps can be a bit of a pain. As far as I can see the new version has the upper straps contained in the rack itself so they don't flap about. Also, there are no lower straps - the bottom part of the rack hooks under the lower edge of the boot.

A better design but maybe not 80 pounds worth better.

OP
OP
Danny

Danny

Legendary Member
Thanks for the responses.

Have only used a basic rack before, which I think came from Halfords, and was difficult to fit and not very stable.

So the question is would the basic Bones be an improvement?

Or to put it another way, if I don't want to spend £170 should I just go for the bottom of the range Saris, the Saris Sentinel, which only costs £50.

Decisions, decisions...

:eek: :blush: :laugh:

Slim

Über Member
Just checked...

Winstanleys have still got the 3 bike Bones for £80 (including P+P).

Haven't checked their alternatives but it's worth having a punt around.

Hope this helps.

goosander

Über Member
Although I don't have experience of any other clip on racks, I doubt if the Saris are any better. Really I think you are paying for the style rather than any other practical benefits.

If you are willing to stump up £170 for a bike rack, I'd seriously consider getting roofbars & some good quality roof mount carriers (e.g. Thule) or a towbar mounted one if you have a towbar.

Try here for a good range of bike carriers of all types:

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/

OP
OP
Danny

Danny

Legendary Member
Unfortunately I want the bike rack for when we go away on holiday, and when we do, we generally have a roof box on the car so no room for a roof rack.

Also, I did look into getting a tow bar fitted so I could use a tow bar rack but this is prohibitively expensive for my car.

Hence the idea that I should get a good quality rear mounted rack.

jashburnham

I just bought a bones (2) off Wiggle for £80. I'm told it'll fit a VW Polo but I've yet to try. I'll be using the rack to transport 2 bikes back from Sussex on Sunday having ridden down on the saturday so I'll post back my thought on it.

Top Bottom