SARIS H3 troubleshooting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

a-n-wilson

Regular
Hi all,
I've just upgraded my 20 year old Minoura TT with the Saris H3 and need a little help please.
I've yet to get it onto Zwift or the like and have barely even turned it over 300 times, but when I've been pedalling there has been a low vibration. The harder I peddle, the more vibration. It's nothing huge, but definitely noticable and definitely not smooth. Has anyone else experienced something like this, and any ideas what I could do about it? I've tried two cassettes so far but it's still a problem so I can probably rule that out. Ideas gratefully received!

When setting the bike up on the turbo, or switching cassettes, do you trim the barrel adjuster to account for any left-to-right variation in the cassette on the turbo hub vs on your wheel? It could be something as simple as that.

OP
OP
A

a-n-wilson

Regular
When setting the bike up on the turbo, or switching cassettes, do you trim the barrel adjuster to account for any left-to-right variation in the cassette on the turbo hub vs on your wheel? It could be something as simple as that.
Hi, thanks for your reply but I dont really understand what you mean. I've barely tinkered with these things for the last 10 years....

There could be a difference in the alignment of the cassette(s) on your turbo vs the casette on your usual rear wheel. It might be necessary to adjust the left-to-right position of the rear derailleur when switching from one to the other. Quickest way to do this is with the in-line barrel adjuster in the derailleur cable to trim the position slightly (though the proper solution is to add/remove spacers to make them the same). If the derailleur is a little off, it will be noisier and as noise = vibration, that could be the cause of your problem.

With the bike on the turbo, you can sit on the floor behind the bike and check if the chain is running vertically or is slightly off. Experiment a quarter-turn of the adjuster at a time and see if that improves/makes it run quieter. (Clockwise to move the mech to the right, anticlockwise to the left)

1607167483999.png

Top Bottom