Sat Nav for LEJOG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Allen Lang-Norris

Hi Guys

I am looking at maps/ GPS/ Sat Navs for my LEJOG? I want to keep costs under £200 though, I know people like Halfords have Garmin touring edge 200 for £169 but there has been nothing but bad reviews. How is this as a real time map?
http://www.evanscycles.com/products...utm_medium=Criteo&utm_campaign=Criteo#answers

I basically want a GPS system that will either tell me where I am on a map, very similar to google maps but where I can upload my LEJOG route to, and if there was a turn by turn GPS in my price range that would be fantastic too.

Any advice would be amazing

Thanks

Allen

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
I've been using my Garmin Touring for around a month now (bought from Halfords - special edition with out-front mount and case) and I reckon you should take the criticisms with a pinch of salt. If they really were as bad as you imply Garmin would not sell any and , believe me, there are lots out there
With any technology there will be problems and there will be some out there who will exaggerate them.
I've had teething problems which, I have to say, are mostly operator faults. Not all though; some are due to the idiosyncrasies of the unit/software, but nothing you can't learn to work with.
The unit meets your stated requirements exactly.
I'd say, give it a go. Given the price of the Touring model, I reckon it's a bargain for what it will do.
I have many years experience of using a Garmin Satnav on my motorbike/car/camper. I've traveled thousands of miles across Europe, Africa and the USA using one and, on balance, wouldn't hesitate buying another.
Despite what some will say on here (just wait and see) their customer service is second to none.
In summary (before the downers arrive to curse me) there are problems, but no more than with any other GPS unit. I think, overall, they are very good.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I use an Etrex 20. Mapping works fine, it runs on AA batteries so charging is less of an issue and I've had no problems using it for audaxing/touring over the last couple years.

Doesn't do the ANT+ stuff though

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
If you're worried about the routing, you could always plot a course before hand on Ridewithgps.com, load it on the Garmin and follow that...

Jimbob312

Regular
bryton rider 50 worked a treat for me when we did LEJOG a couple of months back. much cheaper than garmin too.

StackemEvs

my most treasured navigation assistant was a quarto sized AA road map. It was cheap and when I had covered a particular piece of the journey I was able to tear out the page.

I like your thinking. A friend has the Garmin Edge 500 touring is the replacement for the 200, current price supplied with OpenStreet maps by various shops is less than £200, so a lot for your money.

I have the Garmin Edge 810, which has a bigger screen, it also has HR and cadence if your interested, and a live tracking option for people to follow you, but is designed more of a training than touring device. I don't know about the 500 but the 810 shows the map with you as an arrow near the bottom, it shows turnings coming up with audible warning if wanted. It comes with the whole UK OS maps disk for £300 so again an excellent buy (if you have the money to spare!).

Routes can be created and downloading from the Garmin Connect forum site, where you can also look at and download other peoples routes/rides. I haven't found an easy way to amend routes on the go, so could cause problems for longer trips like LEJOG.

I would recommend the Garmin range for bikes, they all vary so it is very much what you want and how much your willing to pay. But I would suggest looking at the 500 as a starting place.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have found with my Garmin 60Csx that it will get me to the destination I put in but not necessarily the way I want. I get over this by putting town names in which are close to me instead of putting a town name in 10 miles away, for example.

I hope this makes sense.

Steve

Top Bottom