Sat Nav for Running & Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Hi All,

I'm looking to buy a sat nav device for running and perhaps cycling. Most watches that I've seen, track the distance covered and the time taken; I'm looking to get a watch-type device, which can be pre-programmed with specific routes to be followed - so if I get lost, I just follow the arrows (or whatever form the directions may take) on the watch.

I'd like to be able to program the device, so that both off-road and on-road courses can followed; can anyone suggest such a device ?

I have Memory Map installed on my PC - which I use for plotting routes; any device that could be used in conjuction with that, would be of great interest.

Cheers ! :cheers:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Garmin Forerunner. Mines a 305. It shows a breadcrumb trail (not a map) and nags you if you go off course.

Here's a bloke who knows all there is to know about 'em. What he doesn't know ain't worth knowing.

^ Wot he said. You can load in a course so it tells you to turn left, right etc...

I don't have Memory map and use ridewithgps to create the course and then load it to the unit using Easygps, with which you can edit stuff too, though Memory map might do that. Anyway it beeps when you approach any turns and tells you which way to go.

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Garmin Forerunner. Mines a 305. It shows a breadcrumb trail (not a map) and nags you if you go off course.

Cheers Greg, that looks to be exactly what I want !

Sat Nag . . . I like it . . . :thumbsup:

^ Wot he said. You can load in a course so it tells you to turn left, right etc...

I don't have Memory map and use ridewithgps to create the course and then load it to the unit using Easygps, with which you can edit stuff too, though Memory map might do that. Anyway it beeps when you approach any turns and tells you which way to go.

Ta for the reply, Crackle. I hope that a program called 'EasyGPS' really is idiot-proof :whistle:.

I'm now on the lookout for a Garmin Forerunner 305 ! Interestingly, it gets better reviews than the ForeRunner 405 which replaced it; a few reviewers state that they've 'gone back' to the 305, finding it to be a much more reliable unit.

Cheers again, fellas ! :cheers:

Top Bottom