Satellite connection fails in bad weather, why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
For some time now our freesat channels have had issues. It went off completely for 20 minutes earlier this year I noticed the cable plug was loose so I sorted that out and it was OK. But the last month it's gone off as in no signal from the satellite but only the aerial. It came back on after I turned the TV off for 15 minutes. Since then every time the wind blew the picture froze or went blocky for a second or two. Now it's off without any satellite signal. In the wet too it seems bad.

Both the aerial and the satellite feed cables go into a box with one outlet cable to the TV. That's why I'm pretty certain it's not the cable I fixed but to, do with the cable feed from the satellite or the satellite dish itself.

Does anyone have a clue why bad weather has this effect? Any advice on fixing it? I'm thinking the cable might be a bit loose or not fully sealed and connected at the satellite dish receiver. There seems to be a plastic piece around the cable at the bottom of a loop leading from the receiver.

How easy is it to replace the dish? Would this be a good option? I can reach if by ladder as its on the side of the house but I've not much experience with TV cables. What is needed if I was to try and take the cable out of the receiver and reattach? Or is that a non-starter? Are they usually sealed in for weatherproofing reasons? Anyone know?

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
FreeSat is transmitted in the 10-12GHz band just where rain fade kicks in. Earth synchronous satellites are "visible" near the horizon in the UK so not the best when the weather is cr&p

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rain_fade.

CXRAndy

Guru
First check your dish hasn't moved slightly off alignment. Realign if it has. When I used to fit the odd satellite system, I opted for the larger available dish, this enhanced reception and never had rain or heavy weather related issues. The only time signal was lost was when the sun aligned momentarily behind the satellite transmission, whiting out the signal

OldShep

Über Member
Have you checked your signal strength and quality! You’ll find it within the box settings.
A neighbour was having trouble with his satellite signal I went to look at it. Unscrewed the satellite cable and let it hang down A drop of water came out of it. Shroud at the dish not fully up. The whole thing was a typical SKY install. I do my own for a reason.

CXRAndy

Guru
If you don't have the equipment, you can do some simple adjustments to check alignment. It's pretty accurate but not perfect.

First job check there is no water or corrosion in the connection at the dish. Also remove the lead from the receiver end and check for water there, it can migrate through capillary action from a problem elsewhere. Replace the whole cable if water is present or corrosion.

Dish alignment, gently push one side of the dish by hand whilst someone watches the signal strength on the TV. They will either shout or call on a phone to you. Do it slowly as the signal meter will be slow responding.

If the signal improves, then it's a case of loosening the dish alignment fixings to tweak the position. Don't over slacken the fixings. Move the dish a mm left or right to peak the signal. Then test vertical alignment by slightly pressing on the dish at 12 O clock, 6 o'clock position. Again tweak if signal improves.

Make sure the connection at the dish is wrapped with self amalgamating tape(self sealing). It's a rubberised tape totally water proof when overlapped and will last years.

Top Bottom