SatMap Active vs MultiMap vs Etrex 20 GPS's

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking, Trials and BMX' started by GrumpyGregry, 16 Jul 2012.

1. GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry Here for rides.

Thinking of doing a solo trans-cambria over three days next month. Ideally I'd like 1:25000 mapping as I'm a field boundary kind of guy (and the offical IMBA maps whilst showing the route accurately are on old out-of-date mapping

My Etrex Vista HCx with OpenCycleMaps won't cut it in the wilds of Wales

Anyone got any experience of the pro's & con's of the devices listed in the title when used off road in the hills with Ordnance Survey maps on the memory cards? (ideally at 1:25000)

2. berty bassett

berty bassett Guru

what about using your etrex with the free map - british maps with contours os50 of the internet - sure someone will supply link or you can google it i would think it shows most paths ( it does for my area ) for what you want

3. Biglad82

Biglad82 Active Member

Neither... I have the memory map 3500 from my hikeing days and that is now mounted on my steed . Oh and it has took me up snowdon 8 times in the past 2 years and all over the pennines. its a quality bit of kit but new still around 350 notes

4. Ticktockmy

Ticktockmy Veteran

Hi Greg, I have been using a Satmap active for a few years now, only gripes I have with it is that sometimes it take ages to lock on to the Satellites and in some light conditions it can be hard to read when I have it clamped on to the handlebars, but that might be my old eyes. As to accuracy, well of all the GPS i have used i find it the best, with accuracy being such it will show when I cross the road from one side or the other. I guess the average accuracy is about 6 Mts, but often 1 Mtr.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice