SatNav advice.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
This is completely non bike related.

I don't like driving on the motorway or even some A roads, I'd much prefer the scenic route.

I'm terrible at navigation and I'm very reliant on my satnav to get me places. I've got quite an old Tom Tom. I can set it to avoid motorways, but it will still send me down some unpleasant A roads. I went to the coast a couple of weeks ago and ended up on the A1, which is not my idea of a leisurely break.

Anyone help me to set up my satnav to avoid nasty A roads also? Maybe there's a more modern satnav that has more sensitive setting options?

I realise this is a strange request - most people just want to get there as quick as they can - but thats not me!

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Is there a cycling mode you can switch to?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I don't know as I've never had a proper sat nav but many online routefinders have an ignore x,y,z option. Can be missing in mobile phone map apps but maybe in bespoke nav devices? Check the settings maybe for a preferred/custom default set up?

The phone ones I use tend to offer alternatives too when routing that invariably have the slower prettier routes, I guess by accident more than design, but can you specify to your Tom Tom to give you multuple options to pick your preferred one from at the outset?

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Yes @meta lon , I have got one of those satnavs sometimes, that one is very good at finding alternative routes, unfortunately on this most recent trip he was bedded down on the back seat having just done a night shift.
When its just me and Thomas, I really struggle.

SatNag
I have a little Satnav, it sits there in my car.
A Satnav is a driver's friend it tells you where you are.
I have a little Satnav, i'll have it all my life.
It's better than the normal ones, my Satnav is my life.
It gives me full instructions, especially how to drive "It's sixty miles an hour", it says, "You're doing sixty five".
It tells me when to stop and start, and when to use the brake
And tells me that it's never ever, safe to overtake.
It tells me when a light is red, and when it goes to green.
It seems to know instinctively, just when to intervene.
It lists the vehicles just in front, and all those to the rear.
And taking this into account, it specifies my gear.
I'm sure no other driver, has so helpful a device.
For when we leave and lock the car, it still gives its advice.
It fills me up with counselling, each journey's pretty fraught.
So why don't I exchange it, and get a quieter sort?
Ah well, you see, it cleans the house, makes sure I'm properly fed.
It washes all my clothes and things, and keeps me warm in bed!
Despite all these advantages, and my tendency to scoff, I only wish that now and then, I could turn the bugger off.

Last edited:
No sat nav programme will be able to correctly identify what you mean by scenic route. You have two options.

One is to map your route on Google map or any other mapping device and upload it in to your sat nav. It is an easy job but need some basic computer skills.

Other one is to just not follow sat nav if you think route is not scenic enough for you. Then sat nav will automatically re direct the route according to your preferred route.

I hope this make sense.

D

Deleted member 1258

Yes @meta lon , I have got one of those satnavs sometimes, that one is very good at finding alternative routes, unfortunately on this most recent trip he was bedded down on the back seat having just done a night shift.
When its just me and Thomas, I really struggle.

SatNag
I have a little Satnav, it sits there in my car.
A Satnav is a driver's friend it tells you where you are.
I have a little Satnav, i'll have it all my life.
It's better than the normal ones, my Satnav is my life.
It gives me full instructions, especially how to drive "It's sixty miles an hour", it says, "You're doing sixty five".
It tells me when to stop and start, and when to use the brake
And tells me that it's never ever, safe to overtake.
It tells me when a light is red, and when it goes to green.
It seems to know instinctively, just when to intervene.
It lists the vehicles just in front, and all those to the rear.
And taking this into account, it specifies my gear.
I'm sure no other driver, has so helpful a device.
For when we leave and lock the car, it still gives its advice.
It fills me up with counselling, each journey's pretty fraught.
So why don't I exchange it, and get a quieter sort?
Ah well, you see, it cleans the house, makes sure I'm properly fed.
It washes all my clothes and things, and keeps me warm in bed!
Despite all these advantages, and my tendency to scoff, I only wish that now and then, I could turn the bugger off.

Very good! :rofl: :rofl:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Why not just buy some maps?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
No sat nav programme will be able to correctly identify what you mean by scenic route. You have two options.
Exactly.

How can a cheap bit of electronic gage, determine your definition of scenic...or mine, or Sarah's. I'll bet they are all a bit different.

I agree with mapping it yourself, I would work out a route using street view to check that it feels like a good scenic route...if the journey was that important to me (it often is the most important thing)

Top Bottom