SatNav; Excellent in parts - !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
On the way back from Dundee last night, according to our live satnav, there was a 45 minute holdup on the A.1 because of a crash, thus it diverted us. Only problem was that about another three hundred plus vehicles also diverted along the same wee country roads causing an eventual delay of about two hours in our journey.
Maybe we should have stayed on the A.1 - ! :laugh:

Reactions: gbb

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
That's quite a delay; the power of Internet connected satnav phone apps eh! :smile:

We use Sygic and it has an odd quirk where it will randomly tell you to come off at a junction, direct you over the top and across the roundabout, and then send you back down the opposite side straight on to the main carriageway you've just left! :crazy:

Reactions: gbb
That's quite a delay; the power of Internet connected satnav phone apps eh! :smile:

We use Sygic and it has an odd quirk where it will randomly tell you to come off at a junction, direct you over the top and across the roundabout, and then send you back down the opposite side straight on to the main carriageway you've just left! :crazy:

I had one like that - after a while it caught fire in Tesco car park
at random intervals it decided to take the shortest route no matter what - even if that meant coming off a motorway running at 70 to go round a roundabout and back on
weird thing

current one if much better
as long as you know the road names
things like A115 are not good enough - you need to know that it is called "Arcadia Way" - even though there are no plates showing the road name

still - the maps work OK

gbb

Legendary Member
On the way back from Dundee last night, according to our live satnav, there was a 45 minute holdup on the A.1 because of a crash, thus it diverted us. Only problem was that about another three hundred plus vehicles also diverted along the same wee country roads causing an eventual delay of about two hours in our journey.
Maybe we should have stayed on the A.1 - ! :laugh:

Had exactly the same with the Waze app going to Blackpool this autumn. Hold up on the motorway, took us off through Huddersfield iirc at rush hour, a couple of almost single-track roads and a whole lot more stress, time and fuel than had I just waited for the motorway to clear.
I shall'nt be using that app again.

The best sat nav I have is the sense of direction I was born with, never been lost just taking a scenic route

When on my bike I tend to use the sun to work out how to get home if I find myself on an adventure (I NEVER get lost!!!)
Of course knowing I must still be on a specific side of the Mersey helps a lot - overshooting tends to mean I get to a river or canal so that makes it easy

For some reason I have beenm banned from having the compas setting displayed on the car satnav - personally I think it is very useful but SWMBO requires the time to be displayed instead - in spite of the cat's clock being just next to it!!!!

gbb

Legendary Member
Thinking back, pre satnav, I'd just write down the major routes and follow the signs, but this was 30 years ago. It all just worked.
I tried the same this year going to Weymouth, years ago id use the A1, turn off at St Albans to cut off a section, onto the M25 etc etc. I just got completely lost, like the signage just disappeared. I think there's just so much traffic, so much extra to watch out for, its harder than it used to be, just the volume of concentration needed is so much higher now and you miss one major point, it all goes Pete Tong very quickly :laugh:
Arriving at Weymouth, I used to know it like the back of my hand, its all changed, signage taking you on roads that didn't exist years ago, taking you routes that didn't make sense...probably all in the name of taking traffic away from the town, tripling the distance and time needed to go from A to B.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I tend to use the direction of the rain to navigate by

Top Bottom