SatNav for car and bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been thinking of getting satnav for a while for the car, for the odd occasion where I am driving somewhere I don't know. However, I am also starting to want to do longer rides on the bike and it would be nice to have some satnav back up for these rides so I don't get lost.

Anyway, looking full satnav units, it seems they are still quite expensive (and I'm a bit skint at the moment!). So I thought about using my phone. I have a Sony Ericsson K850i which has bluetooth. So I wonder if just buying a relatively cheap GPS receiver and loading something like amazegps, might do the trick.

What do you think? I'd need to find a way of mounting the phone on the handlebars and waterproofing it (but I beleive that is possible with some rubber covers!). Has anyone else done something similar?

pzycoman

Iv got a Garmin 60 CSx (Top of the range), I use it in the car and on my bike and when i go hiking (Also used it when I went abroad so I didnt get hopelessly lost!) - can pick it up for about 200 quid off ebay, but you can get the cheaper versions and just load the maps onto it...

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Mmm. They are nice, but if I ever want a new bike I'll have to keep the costs down. I can get a GPS receiver for £40 or less and the amazegps software is free (and I already have the phone). I was wondering if anyone had had experience of the software or could recommend a receiver that would be good for both cycling and in the car.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I know a mate who has a gps on his pda as an add on. It works very well, the problem is getting a sane mounting for either car or bike for it.

wafflycat

Got one of these for other half. But it did cost..

Primarily got it for MrW to use when he's out & about driving in strange parts on his own. But it has some OS maps pre-loaded and you can get others. It's also properly portable (reasonable battery) and it's waterproof - and you can get a bike mount for it. So it's of use in car/on bicycle/when walking.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Aaarrggh! Stop showing me the expensive gadgets. My next big purchase is going to be a bike! When I see gadgets I get these strange urges....:evil::wahhey:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Take a map....and spend the extra on a bike...

wafflycat

On my bicycle I much prefer OS maps. I find an OS map a thing of great beauty as well as great information. Alas, MrW's work involves a great amount of motor mileage in parts unfamiliar. This is where the satnav has a good use. Instead of having to stop and look at a map, there's a wee voice saying "in one mile..." "at the roundabout take the second exit" and the like. It has its uses. But it isn't a thing of beauty in the way an OS map is.

wafflycat

On the satnav I got MrW, the battery life is not bad - up to 8hrs. Plus, when in car it runs off the car battery and you can also buy extra battery packs, so it's adaptable enough for our usage

Top Bottom