Saved an accident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gouldina

Cycling down Broadway Market by London Fields a couple of days ago and I could see a woman to my right walking into the street without looking so I was being cautious. She finally looked at me just as she was walking into the lane to the right of me and slowed down. However, I then noticed that there was a cyclist coming the other way who either hadn't seen her or didn't care. It wasn't obvious which. The woman hadn't bothered looking that way and was still going forward although at a slower pace. It looked like impact was inevitable so I shouted "WHOAH!" as load as I could. At this point I was about 4 feet away from her so I imagine it was a bit scary and she stopped. The other cyclist missed her by less than an inch I would say and the ped obviously looked rather shocked.
All this seems like it happened in slow motion now I look back on it.

karan733

good on ya :wacko: It does feel good when that happens. I stopped some school kid riding into a canal the other week - was looking at his phone and heading straight into the drink. again - a loud "Woah!" caught his attention PDQ

OP
OP
G

gouldina

karan733 said:
good on ya :biggrin: It does feel good when that happens. I stopped some school kid riding into a canal the other week - was looking at his phone and heading straight into the drink. again - a loud "Woah!" caught his attention PDQ

:wacko:

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
The way some peds cross the roads is shocking at best. I nearly hit some bint while she was engrossed in her all important text. Never looked when she stepped out or while on the road. I shouted at her to Fingin look where she is going as if I was a bus or something she would have been history.

Hows many times have I had this?

Had many peds crossing looking the other way....a blast of the horn has got the attention which is lucky because generally there is a car behind me.Sometimes they are from a foreign land and are used to traffic coming from the other direction.(I think)

I had some kid run out on me once which didn 't other me too much as I was blocking the car out behind me which was better than me letting the car pass.

Ashaman42

Über Member
hackbike 666 said:
Sometimes they are from a foreign land and are used to traffic coming from the other direction.(I think)

Whilst I think that is a factor it certainly boggles my mind. I always look both way, even on one way streets.

That's what I was taught growing up and it just seems barmy not to.

Tynan

Veteran
most of the Londoners look the wrong way before crossong, they're already certain nothing is coming from their right (I have no idea how they do that but it doesn't work for bikes) and are already checking the opposite side of the road

OP
OP
G

gouldina

Tynan said:
most of the Londoners look the wrong way before crossong, they're already certain nothing is coming from their right (I have no idea how they do that but it doesn't work for bikes) and are already checking the opposite side of the road

Especially on one way streets I find. Baffling.

Ashaman42 said:
Whilst I think that is a factor it certainly boggles my mind. I always look both way, even on one way streets.

That's what I was taught growing up and it just seems barmy not to.

Yes that's good.I remember in Thailand I was looking the wrong way a few times but some places have a weird traffic flow.:thumbsup:

I was horrified.

Top Bottom