Saw a Freak Accident on Wednesday Night

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norry1

Legendary Member
On Wednesday I was staying in London for work. I was out having a few beers with the guys and popped outside the bar near Baker Street to make a phone call. I was stood back from the road to keep the traffic noise down and so couldn't see approaching traffic for more than a few metres.

Suddenly a bike came into view from my left at a reasonable speed and suddenly it did a forward somersault, throwing the rider onto the floor pretty much on his head. The taxi behind him did a great job of avoiding him and drove off.

I ran over to help out - and picked the bike up and got the rider to the side of the road. He was a bit shocked but seemed ok, I asked him what had happened. He said his foot had slipped off the pedal and gone into the wheel, thus causing the somersault. His bike was okay except for the front wheel which had several broken spokes.

Overall, he was a lucky guy. Don't suppose it is anyone on here? Made me glad I wear cleats.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
How can someone put their foot in the front wheel when pedaling? Even if the foot comes off the pedal it's not going to go forward and in towards the wheel. Seem's very strange.

Sara_H

Guru
I've seen fotage on youtube of a cyclist putting their foot into the wheel and going over the handlebars. Ouch.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Foot comes off pedal, cyclist loses control, front wheel turns sharply and he has what the motorcyclists call a 'high sider'.

In the process of going over the bars, one of his feet becomes entangled in the wheel and breaks a few spokes.

Possibly.

snorri

Legendary Member
Sounds as if he might have been "cycling furiously" immediately before the incident.^_^

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
It was George Street - just off Baker Street. It did look most bizarre. The Taxi did really well to avoid him.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
How can someone put their foot in the front wheel when pedaling? Even if the foot comes off the pedal it's not going to go forward and in towards the wheel. Seem's very strange.
It seems strange to me too, but my big sister managed to do the same thing when we were young. She was riding a friend's bike while wearing sandals and a foot ended up in the front wheel. It not only caused her to crash, but also nearly took a couple of toes off! :eek:

Top Bottom