Saw my first Birdy!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Birdy the bike brand that is. The rear suspension looks like a Brompton block, rear suspension. My Brompton does very little so I doubt this one would. Which means it's not a true fully suspended folding bike IMO.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Would you like to post that again in English?

CEBEP

If I understood you correct yes, Birdy’s rear suspension will probably offer similar suspension as Brompton as rear fork suspension travel should be similar. However Birdy have front suspension as well which should make your ride a little more comfortable compared to Brompton with no front suspension.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
I mean the Brompton block doesn't offer that much I don't think anything as I feel everything on mine. So whilst I can see that the front offers a noticeable suspension effect I doubt the rear does much.

Is there such a thing as a folding, fully suspended bike that offers a real suspended effect not just a slight road buzz reduction if you get the block suited for your weight/ loading like the Brompton block?

CEBEP

I mean the Brompton block doesn't offer that much I don't think anything as I feel everything on mine. So whilst I can see that the front offers a noticeable suspension effect I doubt the rear does much.

Is there such a thing as a folding, fully suspended bike that offers a real suspended effect not just a slight road buzz reduction if you get the block suited for your weight/ loading like the Brompton block?

Yes, folding mountain bikes. Or you can upgrade suspension block for better suspension on Brompton/Birdy.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Which means it's not a true fully suspended folding bike IMO.
Always good to have an opinion. Less good if it is based on prejudices. Judging on the suspension of a bike by simply looking at it and then claiming it would behave the same than on a completely different bike because it looks similar to you is a bit over the top IMHO. With the same justification you could (and probably would) claim all cars behave the same as they have the same kind of suspension.

Judging from actually haven ridden the thing a couple of years ago I can state that the Birdy is much more comfortable than a Brompton, front and rear. But the steering is something to get used to for a lot of people.

BTW: If the rear suspension was soft (on both bikes) they would bob massively and loose a lot of your pedal power in the suspension bob. Nothing desirable.

cheys03

Veteran
anyone out there got upgraded brompton suspension? I fancy a change.
thoughts or evidence would be appreciated

Interestingly, one of the Brompton upgrade mods used to be to swap the Brompton rear rubber suspension block for a Birdy elastomer….

I've got the firmer block ready to install but I've not got around to it.
Mind you it's only been the 4 years or so...

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Always good to have an opinion. Less good if it is based on prejudices. Judging on the suspension of a bike by simply looking at it and then claiming it would behave the same than on a completely different bike because it looks similar to you is a bit over the top IMHO. With the same justification you could (and probably would) claim all cars behave the same as they have the same kind of suspension.

Judging from actually haven ridden the thing a couple of years ago I can state that the Birdy is much more comfortable than a Brompton, front and rear. But the steering is something to get used to for a lot of people.

BTW: If the rear suspension was soft (on both bikes) they would bob massively and loose a lot of your pedal power in the suspension bob. Nothing desirable.

Boy you've really come out on the attack there. How about explaining what about the rear suspension on the birdy that makes it different and better?

My point was that they look the same kind of suspension as my Brompton which IMO does not give much suspension and if true does not make it a full suspension folding bike. I'm looking for information not personal attacks.

Perhaps snip my threads less and lose the attack dog attitude and simply explain why its got a better rear suspension than Brompton.

Brompton aftermarket has many blocks to go at. I really like the look of this one but no idea how good they are.

Scrowave spring block

cheys03

Veteran
It may be your opinion that the Birdy does not have ‘full’ suspension due a lesser suspension travel than say, a mountain bike - but ‘full’ refers to both front AND rear wheels being suspended and so by definition it IS full suspension.

Having ridden both a Brompton and a Birdy over hundreds of miles I agree with berlinonaut. The Birdy is more comfortable, but the geometry of the front steering takes some getting used to!

The Birdy suspension doesn’t have the travel of a downhill mountain bike suspension, nor should it - but it is full suspension, and well suited to the intended use of the bike.

The Brompton rear-only suspension is, arguably, adequate for the intended use of the bike too.

berlinonaut

Veteran

Realistically optics is the only thing what most "tuning" suspensions on the Brompton achieve. In fact the factory suspension does a pretty good job. If you mount a camera pointing towards the suspension block you'll be surprised. The only downside is that with riders of average weight (and even more with heavier riders) the (former) standard block is too soft, eating up your pedal power to a (small) degree. Depending from the age of your Brompton problem and solutions are different:
• Brompton up to 2007: Put a jubilee clip around the suspension block.
• Brompton from late 2007 until 2017: There's a standard block and a "hard" block available (or: has been). The hard block is much preferable for most riders.
• Brompton since 2018: Only one type of block available, in the middle between the former standard and hard blocks. For my taste no need to change anything. You can however if you want to have it harder change it for the Joseph Kusoac one - this is much harder, good for effectiveness of the drivetrain, less for comfort). The B75 has a white suspension block - no idea if it is different. The Chpt3 has a red suspension block. Rumors say it would be harder, no idea if that is true.

You can upgrade any Brompton to any of the newer blocks if you wish so. Spending money on non-factory blocks (apart from the Kusoac one in rare circumstances) does not have any notable positive effects apart from optics and is thus not worth it. I would recommend not to trust people who state different claims and massive positive effects - having spent the money already they seem to be a little biased that there must be an effect to justify their spending. ;)

Kell

Veteran

I swapped out my 'FIRM' suspension block for a Joseph Kuosac solid one.

I'd tried the jubilee clip around the block, but still the whole bike bobbed more than I wanted.

I got it as a freebie to try so long as I wrote a review.

I made a video instead. Eliminates the bounce and pedal bob, makes it less comfortable, but quicker.

View: https://youtu.be/BxeEln3X2qs

ExBrit

Über Member

I have to disagree about the Brompton elastometer. I compare my Brompton with my Ti road bike on the same stretch of rough road and the Brompton seems to absorb more. I don't know how much is frame design, tire width and size, etc, but the Brompton is a gentler ride. The Birdy front suspension looks interesting, but it adds a lot of moving parts to fail.

Top Bottom