Saw my first ghost bike this week.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Really sad. I know who it's for but hadn't been anticipating seeing it. It affected me much more than I'd ever thought it would. Maybe it's because there have been a few deaths rather close to home over the last month or two. It's all a bit sobering really.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I cycle past one quite often, and it's a shame that not many people know what it stands for. a bike just sitting there on the railings!!

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
yep though usually it's a bike shop that will arrange one -the bike gets painted all white and is then chained to where the cyclist died- quite a few in London - it is sad that not many people know what they stand for

Arch

Married to Night Train
Jane Smart said:
goodness me do you mean when someone is killed on their bikes, the relatives leave the bike "at the spot"?

:smile:

Some do.

Can I just request here and now that if I die on my bike, no one ever does it for me? Just not my thing I'm afraid.

This one actually had a sign fixed to the railings just above the top tube which doubtless gave the details or at least the name (and dates) of the victim. I have to say that for the person concerned, I found it quite fitting. If one was put up for me I don't think it would be as formal or long-lasting. I also think it a much better tribute than the wilted flowers, football jerseys and team scarves that you usually see.

I'm not normally an advocate of road-side memorials, particularly as so many are for motorcyclists or drivers whose love of speed and power were probably contributing factors to their early demise, or worse still, the demise of their friends. This one was right and proper, and saddening though it was, I think the guy deserved a tribute.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I pass three as a matter of course, and the FNRttC to Whitstable passes another. I think it's quite a dignified way of remembering somebody. It's sobering, but it reminds you of the joy that there is in life, and how precious a thing it is.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
BigonaBianchi said:
If it ever happens to me Id like a celeste coloured one please

White only i'm afraid.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Arch said:
Can I just request here and now that if I die on my bike, no one ever does it for me?
Ditto. They just give people the entirely false impression that cycling is dangerous.

Ben Lovejoy said:
Ditto. They just give people the entirely false impression that cycling is dangerous.

No they don't Ben - they are a blunt reminder of the fact at the time. I have never thought of them as indicating danger but as an 'aide memoire' for alert cycling, along with a sympathetic thought...

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
But cycling isn't dangerous. A tiny proportion of cyclists get killed, statistically fewer than would have died of heart disease had they not cycled.

Joe Public sees these things, shudders slightly and concludes that cycling is dangerous.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
there are times when what Joe Public thinks is neither here nor there (and, actually, I doubt whether Joe Public notices, because when I've pointed them out to people they've clearly not spotted them before, far less worked out what they're about).

I agree with you on the stats, though. My thought for the day is that most cyclists in their middle and later years look darn good for our age, and serve as an advertisement for cycling.

OK - but most Joes do not know the reason for the bike unless they bother to read any accompanying 'tribute'.
Those on bikes - well, a lot of cyclists are 'in the dark' about ghost bikes too - as per the posts within this thread.

dellzeqq said:
there are times when what Joe Public thinks is neither here nor there (and, actually, I doubt whether Joe Public notices, because when I've pointed them out to people they've clearly not spotted them before, far less worked out what they're about).

I agree with you on the stats, though. My thought for the day is that most cyclists in their middle and later years look darn good for our age, and serve as an advertisement for cycling.

I agree entirely, if not more! :wacko:
(I don't want to be painted white when squashed though...unless it is on Brighton seafront!)

Top Bottom