Saw the Quentin Tarantino film

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
A bit weird, a bit long, messes around with normal narrative structure, a tad violent when it gets to it. So much, so Tarantino, except nobody got called a bad word rhyming with trigger. Overall, I liked it. I liked the Bruce Lee scene.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You mean " Once upon a time in Hollywood "?
Got some very good reviews on IMBD. Here's the trailer;

View: https://youtu.be/ELeMaP8EPAA

I do like his films so I'll certainly be seeing it. Thanks for the heads up.

AndyRM

XOXO
You mean " Once upon a time in Hollywood "?
Got some very good reviews on IMBD. Here's the trailer;

View: https://youtu.be/ELeMaP8EPAA

I do like his films so I'll certainly be seeing it. Thanks for the heads up.

I was going to ask how you'd missed this, because it's been getting hammered advertising wise, then remembered you live in Ghana. So at the risk of a massive thread derail, what's the cinema/film scene like there?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I was going to ask how you'd missed this, because it's been getting hammered advertising wise, then remembered you live in Ghana. So at the risk of a massive thread derail, what's the cinema/film scene like there?
I'm dependant on sites like IMDB for info on the latest films. We do have a multi screen cinema at a shopping mall not far from me and they show a mixed bag. On checking they are actually showing the mentioned film right now so I might see it here rather than when I come over next month.
Apart from that there is the local stuff which are in main Nigerian (Nollywood) where there's a huge film business and some Ghanian (Ghalleywood). These are very melodramatic and focus on doomed love affairs, infidelity and family matters. Many feature fighting which people here seem to love watching. These come on DVDs and I understand the movie makers have just two weeks to make their money back before the Nigerians copy it and flood the market which might explain why they are low budget. They also produce knock offs of US films so you can always get the latest ones. I remember getting The Kings Speech when it came out, it kept flashing the message Property of the Weinstein Company!
One of the most famous Nollywood actors is Osita Iheme who is an adult but plays a child and is hugely popular and gets mobbed everywhere he goes. Here is a clip from one of his films;

View: https://youtu.be/GkVWu2RckdA

AndyRM

XOXO
I'm dependant on sites like IMDB for info on the latest films. We do have a multi screen cinema at a shopping mall not far from me and they show a mixed bag. On checking they are actually showing the mentioned film right now so I might see it here rather than when I come over next month.
Apart from that there is the local stuff which are in main Nigerian (Nollywood) where there's a huge film business and some Ghanian (Ghalleywood). These are very melodramatic and focus on doomed love affairs, infidelity and family matters. Many feature fighting which people here seem to love watching. These come on DVDs and I understand the movie makers have just two weeks to make their money back before the Nigerians copy it and flood the market which might explain why they are low budget. They also produce knock offs of US films so you can always get the latest ones. I remember getting The Kings Speech when it came out, it kept flashing the message Property of the Weinstein Company!
One of the most famous Nollywood actors is Osita Iheme who is an adult but plays a child and is hugely popular and gets mobbed everywhere he goes. Here is a clip from one of his films;

View: https://youtu.be/GkVWu2RckdA

I kind of thought that might be the case. Thanks for the info.

You'd have to tell me it was not at all like a Tarantino movie in order for me to watch it. I'm absolutely horrified at rumours he might do a Star Trek movie.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
You'd have to tell me it was not at all like a Tarantino movie in order for me to watch it. I'm absolutely horrified at rumours he might do a Star Trek movie.

Jackie Brown is not at all like a Quentin Tarantino film. Not a bad film, in fact quite good, but a bit slow.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I'm not a Tarantino fan either, Emperor's New Clothes springs to mind..

You and Crackle probably won't like this one neither. The cinema was pretty full when I went, although the young couple next to me left part way through. That might have been my aftershave though. There are stretches of it that are a teeny bit dull. Sometimes I read a book and think: 'this is a book written to be studied in college'. It struck me this was a film to be studied in film studies courses. Definitely had its moments though.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Jackie Brown is not at all like a Quentin Tarantino film. Not a bad film, in fact quite good, but a bit slow.
It's a brilliant film and not too violent like many other of his, probably because he didn't write it but adapted it from the novel Rum Punch by Elmore Leonard.
I wouldn't say it was slow but paced. It says something for Tarantino's "pull' that you see Robert De Niro playing what is really a bit part. The story is about a gun runner (Samuel L Jackson) who manipulates people to do his bidding and killing them if they dont comply, its also about getting old with Robert Forster and Pam Grier playing their parts sympathetically in this regard.
Great music in the soundtrack and it's got a few great extras like the especially made satirical "Chicks who love Guns" clip.

View: https://youtu.be/bwMhckyZ9n8

Highly recommended. If you don't like Tarantinos films this could be the one for you.

Last edited:

AuroraSaab

Veteran
I saw this tonight. I am not a Tarantino fan as I find his films rather self indulgent, too knowing, and he is constantly referencing other films or directors. I enjoyed this one though. Very little actually happens, but both DiCaprio and Pitt are excellent in it and the sets, costumes etc are very good. I like old cars so loved seeing so many Mustangs, Beetles, Porches, and liked the period setting.

It's overlong and suffers from the usual over indulgence that you get when the director is also the writer (ie. won't edit long scenes), and it is not the Best Film Ever Made as some reviews are suggesting, but it keeps your interest and looks great.

Top Bottom