Saying goodbye to cheap folding bicycles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Happy69

Regular
Here is a little bit of history and the reason why ive joined this forum

The first fold up bicycle I had was a red full size folding bicycle I had when I was 13 but not very tall and the bike was huge, it was a proper granny shopper bike lol, it got stolen as I left it unlocked at the butchers, in 2003 I bought a 99 quid fold up bicycle from go outdoors, it badly shook when going down steep hills, I used to get the bus into town and then cycle the last 3 miles to work but eventually the hinge snapped and lastly I bough a second hand cheap electric bicycle, that was again poorly made and heavy but it went quite nicely until I got hit by a Ford transit van (I was okay but the bicycle wasnt)

So I haven't done any cycling in a couple of years, I do have a full size hybrid bicycle but I love the clever engineering of a fold up.

I have always liked Bromptons and I have decided that I will be buying a Brompton as soon as I can afford to, I then plan on modifying it, I test rode a m6r and it felt wonderful, didn't rattle like a cheap fold up.

Anyway that's me

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Wow, what a history. Obviously hasnt put you off folders. Welcome aboard.
If you're into Brompton modding then @chriscross1966 is your man, amongst others.

Tenkaykev

Guru
My saving up is going well, also I have sold a few things I didn't need I.e Xbox etc

I started getting rid of stuff that I had aquired over the years, some photography stuff like a couple of old flashguns etc.
I sold them through Amazon marketplace by looking up the item I had and clicking the " have one to sell? " button on the page. What surprised me was that my wifes text books from when she was studying fetched such a good price.
Long story short, I cleared nearly £1000 in just over a year of going through the bookcase and all the stuff we no longer used

chriscross1966

Über Member
Love my Bromptons, and can't seem to leave them stock. SJS and Bikegang stock a vast range of bits, from aftermarket clamp handles through to titanium wide-hub forks and rear frames so you can fit disc brakes and 11 or 14 speed hub gears...

OP
OP
Happy69

Happy69

Regular
Love my Bromptons, and can't seem to leave them stock. SJS and Bikegang stock a vast range of bits, from aftermarket clamp handles through to titanium wide-hub forks and rear frames so you can fit disc brakes and 11 or 14 speed hub gears...

my plan is to get a brompton then save up again for the parts. I'll be getting quite alot of
Titanium parts but mostly just because I like shiny things, i won't be making it the lightest bike as I want things like a Brooks saddle and rohloff hub

chriscross1966

Über Member
What chainset is advisable on a rohloff, 54t?

Also would it be advisable to get a titanium bottom bracket
Dont know off the top of my head and only if you're quite light.. checking the blessed Sheldon's gear calculator a 60t up front and a 13 at the back gives you a 21" bottom gear (very low indeed) throught to a 108" top gear (pretty darn high).. and that, usefully, gets you a sexy big chainring up front and a sprocket at the back that any tensioner adjusted to suit the chainline can cope with

Top Bottom